News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

plastic glue or cement

Started by RAM, August 24, 2007, 12:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

Some time back someone asked about plastic glue.  One of the replies said to buy a product at a home supply store.  That it was the same thing only much cheaper.  Any one remember what it was.  thanks

ebtbob

Ram,

I have a suggestion for you.  Go to www.thistothat.com.   It is a website about adhesives.   It is extremely easy to use and will make suggestions to specific adhesives to use in certain applications.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

fieromike

Quote from: RAM on August 24, 2007, 12:06:19 AM
Some time back someone asked about plastic glue.  One of the replies said to buy a product at a home supply store.  That it was the same thing only much cheaper.  Any one remember what it was.  thanks
The OP was probably referring to MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), a liquid solvent that is used to cement styrene and ( I think ) ABS plastic.  It is the major ingredient in most all of the hobby type liquid cements.  Good stuff, but read all the precautions about inhalation, skin contact, etc.  My personal recommendation is Tenax.  It doesn't seem to soften styrene as badly if you get a bit too much on your model.

Mike

SteamGene

Or it could be super glue at Wal Mart.  Very much cheaper than at your LHS.  There is a bottle and brush that I really like.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Woody Elmore

A solvent glue for styrene, made by Testor's, is available in liquid form. It comes with a very nice dispenser and can be purchased from Micro-mark. a well stocked hobby shop probably would have it. It is far superior to the tube type. Other brands are probably very similar.

Do stay away from concentrated MEK. The stuff is very bad on lungs and I believe it causes damage to other organs. Most styrene glues may contain MEK but not in the concentrated form you'd find in a science lab.

Other choices include epoxy and any of the CA glues.

Woody Elmore

In my last posting I forgot to mention that Plastistruct also has a solvent glue available. A well stocked hobby shop that carries the Plastistruct line can probably order the solvent if it is not stocked.

the Bach-man

Dear Bob,
Great link!
Thanks!
the Bach-man