Model Power cars with Bachmann engine

Started by chickendevil, August 24, 2007, 10:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chickendevil

I am new to the train game. I have a Bachmann set with EZ-Mate couplers and I have some Model Power freight cars. The couplers are different. Do I need to change the ones on my bachmann or the Model Power cars? I like the ones on the Bachmann better. Do I just change the couplers or do I need to change the entire truck assembly? I also need to know the best brand couplers and/or truck assemblies to use. I do not know anything about model trains, but i am looking forward to learning.

the Bach-man

Dear Chick,
Assuming your Bachmann equipment is new, you can get EZ Mate Mk II couplers to convert the other cars. Most freight cars take center shank, medium couplers.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

RAM

Few if any model coming on the market today use the horn hook couplers.  If you have very many cars you can start out by changing one end of two cars.   That way you can run all of your cars while you change out the couplers.  If you only have 3 or 4 cars then it is no big deal. 

SteamGene

Mr. B must recommend E-Z Mate couplers.  But if you are changing from horn hooks, what you want are Kadee #5 couplers.  If you have five or more cars to convert, get the bulk pack without the draft gear boxes.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Woody Elmore

For someone new to the hobby Accumate or Bachmann couplers may be a better suggestion than Kadees. Kadees do require a little work to perform correctly.

Len

Whichever knuckle coupler you choose, if you're going to use the original coupler pocket you'll need some Kadee #212 Talgo adapters.

The fill in the space between the small pin in the original coupler pocket and the large hole in the knuckle coupler.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Craig

Quote from: Len on August 26, 2007, 01:10:23 PM
Whichever knuckle coupler you choose, if you're going to use the original coupler pocket you'll need some Kadee #212 Talgo adapters.

They fill in the space between the small pin in the original coupler pocket and the large hole in the knuckle coupler.

Len

ABSOLUTELY. None of the afore mentioned couplers are a drop in replacement for a horn hook coupler on a talgo truck. Kudos to you, Len, for not only advising the what but also the how.

SteamGene

This is only true if he has talgo trucks and he keeps them.  So - are the couplers attached to the bottom of the car directly, or are they a part of the truck?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Len

Quote from: SteamGene on August 26, 2007, 05:54:11 PM
This is only true if he has talgo trucks and he keeps them.  So - are the couplers attached to the bottom of the car directly, or are they a part of the truck?
Gene

Gene,

All of the Model Power cars, and most of the locomotives, I've seen that came with horn-hook couplers had them truck mounted. Which is why I said, "...if you're going to use the original coupler pocket..."

Len

SteamGene

I'm not that familiar with Model Power.  I thought the newer ones had gone to body mounting. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Len

Gene,

At the train store where my repair shop is located some newer Model Power/Mantua has body mounted knuckle couplers. All of the MP cars with horn-hooks have them truck mounted.

Len