switching from dc to bachman ez command

Started by CAMPBELL LYNN, April 11, 2013, 04:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRS Hobbies

I am in the planning stage of building a model train track and also plan on using DCC to control the locos only. I see positives to both options (using DCC turnout or conventional electric turnouts). I plan on using the conventional electric turnouts since I find it more intuitive and easier to just flip a switch to control the turnout even if it means more wiring. I can also see how the wiring is much simpler and it can be more convenient to control a turnout from anywhere on the track using a DCC handheld controller. Another consideration is the added cost involved with using DCC turnouts.

Best regards,
Brian

Doneldon

Brian-

Read each of the posts in this thread to get good, detailed information on EZ Command and other DCC products. I think it will help you decide how much system you need. My personal belief, and I own it as such, is that it's a bigger mistake to err on the side of starting too little than starting with a little too much. One can easily grow into a more powerful or versatile system but expanding an elementary system is always expensive and it can be difficult or impossible, particularly if the expansion is to obtain added features. Whatever you do, good luck.
                                                                                                                                                  -- D

Rangerover1944

I left this site (posting) due to the negativity that I received from the MRR Guru's on this, the Bachmann Site for distain comments I received for using the Bachmann EZ Command DCC System. Imagine that on a Bachmann Product Site.  I had and still have no intention of starting flame wars over Bachmann Products. I have received much help in other area's of this wonderful hobby of model rail roading on this site and still lurk on occasion, but to defend Bachmann EZ Command and its possible expansion we all know is very limited. But most of us don't have the available room for a thousand mile scale model layout or care for the need of more expensive complicated systems.

I use the Bachmann EZ Command, if I ever upgraded to another system I could sell what I have invested and probably get nearly all my money back. But I won't since I have no need for advanced system's with my 11'x17' layout with a 2 rail line subway under, so I litterly have 2 layouts stacked. 8 years I've been using my Bachmann EZ Command along with the Bachmann 5 amp booster. A simple Google Search one can find the Bachmann booster at a reasonable cost under $200.00.  I program my CV's and sound with my PR3/JMRI (cost $74.00) program track, I have no desire to able to put in 900 loco's in any throttle and I'm quite happy with what I have at the present time 52 DCC loco's about half have sound, I have converted 24 DC loco's to DCC, hard wired and some with sound, yes a lot of work especially speaker placement. 

Bachmann sells loco's with sound that are extremely affordable for the few that are available at this time. I've paid more just for a sound decoder from other manufacturers than Bachmann sells for a complete locomotive with the sound already installed. Most of the sounds after all are default in startup and shutdown and of course depending on the decoder even while running such as the wheel riding against the inside of the rail squeal, steam sounds and chuffs, it has nothing to do with the throttle since it is default in the decoder, and we all know EZ Command allows these sounds.

I am curious as to how many model railroaders actually use all the function buttons when operating one train or 3-6 trains for a session. QSI, I believe, has the most functions for sound and or lights, 24 at the present time.

Most throttles have 10 function buttons and some have 27, correct me if I'm wrong, my throttle has 10, I still use Bachmann EZ Command after 8 years. I mostly use the default buttons such as:

1-bell

2-horn/whistle

3-loco addressing (single addressing)

4-ditch lights (remapped, not defalult)

8-mute

9-dim light

10- light/lights on/off

I don't use all the function buttons for all the sounds/functions available on a decoder. Though I know how limited I am with my throttle. Even when I program using PR3/JMRI their throttles too only have 10 function buttons. I assume that using other throttles, Dynamis, Digitrax, NCE, for example would have something on the screen such as touch for the remaining functions. I really can't remember all the function's on my decoders whether it's Bachmann, QSI, Soundtraxx, Tsunami, or Digitrax.

I only use the function's for what sound options I can use and quite frankly only use the bell, horn/whistle, and lighting functions.

The only other function button I use is #4 for my ditch/mars lights, I remapped so I could remember what function button to use.

Do any users really use more than the bell, horn/whistle and the light function buttons when operating or am I really alone. I do run 3-4 trains with 2 loco consist's on my 11'x17' layout but can run up to 6. It seems that running even 2-3 trains and trying to apply all the different functions is almost impossible. Heck I can't really remember what loco is on what address, let alone the functions for it.

Bachmann DCC systems are a bargain and again easy to set up, and in just a few minutes you can be up and running  and operate in DCC with no hassles's. There are other systems that have a much more complete program and function capabilities but for much more $$$. But I'm not interested in spending several hundred dollars more so I can hear a rooster crow or listen to steam safety blowoff. No on the contrary I even enjoy function 8 MUTE! No sound at all, just the whining of the electric motor and the metal wheels on the track. And I appreciate Bachmann making this hobby with DCC simple, and EZ to use for the price of it.

I also admit that adjusting the motion cv's most definitely been a challenge in the beginning but it's rewards are outstanding in running, especially in consists of 2 or more locomotives.

I have also completed some function remapping and configured decoders as an example, ditch lights that flash when the horn sounds with PR3/JMRI using decoders that allow you to do so and operating them from my Bachmann EZ Command. It keeps me quite busy with completing my scenery and maintaining what's completed.

Anything to do with CV's is after all, a bit more advanced and I still find the reset button a life saver when "playing" with CV's. I have 45 turnouts on my layout and the price to install the decoders to allow me to operate from any throttle is cost prohibitive, pushing a button on my panel is not a problem, I do have a lighted map on the wall with led's showing me which direction a switch is thrown, the slow motion Tortise Machines were quite enough. I have installed 4 Bachmann EZ Command Auto Reverse Loop Modules that have worked flawlessly for 4 years.

Bachmann Easy Command system for $59.85.

http://www.thefavoritespot.com/p-3982-bachmann-ho-scale-train-ez-command-control-system.aspx

A link to see for yourself of how to assemble and use the Bachmann EZ Command and how to lash up consists, 2 or more loco's in one train.

http://www.google.com/search?q=bachmann+ez+command+youtube&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLL_enUS385

Bucksco

Most of the negative comments that appear when EZ command is discussed come from lack of understanding concerning the ultimate purpose of the product. EZ Command was designed with beginners in mind. It is a quick, easy and AFFORDABLE way to get started in DCC. It was designed to make learning DCC theory easy. You can not change CV values or do 4 digit addressing but it is far less intimidating than a 400 dollar plus system with a huge operators instruction booklet and a myriad of confusing buttons on the control station.
I think the key point is to compare the price to a full blown system. According to the post above an EZ Command can cost less that a single DCC equipped locomotive. I have much better luck teaching a novice to run DCC with an EZ Command than I do with the higher end systems.

Jerrys HO

Rover I second everything you just wrote. I too left this site but took it further and deleted my account because of the negativity and decided to reopen it for the benefit of others and myself.
Yardy did you ever check in to what I asked could be done?

Jerry

Rangerover1944

Quote from: Yardmaster on May 18, 2013, 04:45:33 PM
Most of the negative comments that appear when EZ command is discussed come from lack of understanding concerning the ultimate purpose of the product. EZ Command was designed with beginners in mind. It is a quick, easy and AFFORDABLE way to get started in DCC. It was designed to make learning DCC theory easy. You can not change CV values or do 4 digit addressing but it is far less intimidating than a 400 dollar plus system with a huge operators instruction booklet and a myriad of confusing buttons on the control station.
I think the key point is to compare the price to a full blown system. According to the post above an EZ Command can cost less that a single DCC equipped locomotive. I have much better luck teaching a novice to run DCC with an EZ Command than I do with the higher end systems.

Quote from: Jerrys HO on May 18, 2013, 06:26:42 PM
Rover I second everything you just wrote. I too left this site but took it further and deleted my account because of the negativity and decided to reopen it for the benefit of others and myself.
Yardy did you ever check in to what I asked could be done?

Jerry

From these 2 posts, and Jerry, I wonder how many others felt and did the same thing. Well you guys have made me realize the value of helping others who need help with EZ Command. I too after reading your responses refuse to let others put me down for using a product that is to my liking and never had any problems with.

It won't happen again!

Bucksco

It is impossible for us to police how you guys treat each other. Everyone needs to show respect and civility toward each other.

Rangerover1944

Quote from: Yardmaster on May 18, 2013, 08:28:34 PM
It is impossible for us to police how you guys treat each other. Everyone needs to show respect and civility toward each other.

Yardmaster I know you're an administrator but I would never use any profanity or turn anybody in either. I have seen over the months some of the trouble makers are no longer here. They came I think from the site that closed down. I have never been disrespectful, you can read any of my posts from years ago to see that. Even when things were going on, none of my posts were ever removed. I would usually wind saying something of the effect of "I'm sorry you feel that way", or "there is no sense in replying any further to this thread". I never put anybody down or have ever shown any hostility. I also have a mutual friend who I met here on this site who lives in town and is a police officer and he hasn't been back either to this site, who used to help with a lot of people too, he too got jumped on over the Bachmann EZ Command attacks sometime after I left. Except for a few, I never had a problem.