News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Color Schems

Started by Dusten Barefoot, August 26, 2007, 08:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusten Barefoot

Bachmann

Can you pass around to the higher ups if the 2-6-0 line ups could be put in the ET&WNC green color schem? I was looking at a Glen Brook Valley engine and saw the green and it reminded me of Tweetsie. I think the 2-6-0 would look beautiful in a green color schem.

It's just a thought

Dusten Barefoot
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

japasha

Dusten,

Go out an purchase a Badger spray gun and learn to paint a locomotive. It is not hard at all. Make your prototype your way. This may be a nerw experience for you but when I was young it was the only way to get the color schemes I wanted. You can do it. A little Southern Railway gree nand some boxcar red for the roof of the cab and you can have that Tweetsie locomotive you want.

Get a copy of Light Iron Digest and see what the readers are doing there. I promise that you will have fun doing it. I recall when Lee Riley was doing this at Pro Custom Hobbies.  Everyone started where you are.

Dusten Barefoot

I would buy all the stuff I need to paint a engine, but sadly I have no money to buy the stuff I need, my family is blue coller, and finding a job around here is hard, most of'em have gone to the illigal aliens. But I ain't complaining, there is always Christmas and birthdays that I can look foward to. :D   But I do think of it a little easier for me If Bachamnn did produce a Tweetsie 2-6-0, I can find it in a magazine for cheaper that regular price.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

The Old Fardt

Dustin

You have the desire for items that are not being made at the present time then learn how to make do till you have the money to buy or have someone do the work for you.
No manufacture is going to take any added risk as this hobby as is streached pretty thin.  Have you considered HO gauge as it can be less in cost and one can find just about anything they can afford and then some !!

TOF

C.P.R.R. Manager

Dustin, there are low-cost airbrushes that are much cheaper than a new loco.  And, you gain the satisfaction of making something unique.  Don't dismiss the idea until you do some research.  It's not as expensive as you think.

bernard

Dustin
What the others are forgetting is that you can waist a lot of money making mistakes before you acquire the skills to achieve a decent result that you are happy with. By which time you will have become dejected and found something else to do with your hard earned cash.
Keep pushing the Bachmann for what you want.
This may offend those with money to burn but what the heck!

Bernard

japasha

Bernard,

The issue is having what you want. Most of us here started wanting something without having hard cash to buy it. Yeah, we all made mistakes but we got better. If Dusten really wants a train in On30 painted like the Tweetsie, he should buy and Undecorated 2-6-0 and do a minimum of painting the boiler green and the cab roof in boxcar red. Not so hard but it does take something to make the first step.
That's what this is all about, taking that step to do something you really want. We are not making fun of Dusten. If he wants more help, it's here on the list. I recall some forty seven years ago wanting a Colorado and Southern #22 in HOn3. I mowed lawns for six months to get the money and then got it. Still have it and a twin in On3.Just being satisfied with others do isn't enough sometimes.

Woody Elmore

You might be able to find a used airbrush on Ebay. Out here on Long Island the two county community colleges offer evening adult ed art courses. A friend developed air bruch techniques in an evening class and he is now working part time with a car painter-when he is not putting camoflage on RC airplanes!

I think Kalmbach has a DVD which deals with airbrushing.

Growing up looking at Southern Railway trains, I think green (especially SRy Virginia green) looks good on any loco.

This is one suggestion that I would agree might be something for Bachmann to implement.

Dusten Barefoot

I have modeled all scales in the past except for z, but any way, HO has been dissatisifying, It was too small for my interest. I have always loved to see the maximum detail in something, the resson for not modeling in G is it is too big for my indoor layout boards and is imposible to build a garden Ry. On30 is the perfect scale for my love of detail and narrow gauge, and like bernard said, when I make enough hard erned money, I will be paying for my car insurence, so I think bachmann would make a good killing off of some Tweetsie 2-6-0s, they did with it in G. Painting a loco is a option I might take but the thing is I will have to take the engine apart in which when I do I will be bound to break somthing off, or mess up the motor wich is the case for most of my locos in the scrape yard. Woody is right, every steam engine looks beautiful in SR green.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

ASIANLIFE

I just repainted a Mogul over the weekend. It was one of the brightly coloured locos [North Star and Southern ?].

However, I hand-paint using acrylics. I taught myself as a teenager. With practice the results are excellent.

When practising I use plastic household objects to work on my technique. Small plastic bottles are ideal for practising boilers. I also have some cheap toy trains, bought for equivalent of US$ 6, and I have also been using these to practise my weathering techniques using acrylics ''dry-brushed'' on.

For the Mogul I used Tamiya semi-gloss black, and an art shop matt black for the smokebox, which I then dry-brushed with white and brownish-rust colour. The acrylics are not expensive, but you do need a good brush, otherwise you can find spare bristles on the surface. However, for practising I also use cheap brushes as I am more interested in technique and the odd bristle in the finish does not matter.

When painting by hand it is important to start in corners, and in the fiddly detailed areas- always keep working from the wet-edge.

Keep stirring the paint, and ensure you work in a warm environment as this keeps the paint easier to work with.

For the Mogul I removed the cab which is easily done, the stack, and the piping. I think the latter removal is optional.

The stack is a rather thick plastic casting- so I reamered it out to a more scale thickness with a small semi-round file. Not too difficult.

Painting began at front and underneath the boiler, working within the first boiler bands, and then over the top and round to finish underneath on the other side.

I then repeated for the area between next boiler bands. etc

Acrylics dry quicky, and I applied second coat soon afterwards. The whole job took a weekend.

I did find that the paint applied better to some of the painted surfaces than others. For instance the piping is originally gold, and that took more coverage than other parts.

The results are good, I had fun, and I now have a unique loco that I want.

Hope this helps

Paul   :D

Woody Elmore

A former teaching acquintance who was an art teacher also was a professional model builder. He built things for architects and lawsuits, and he hand painted everything with acrylic paint. He once duplicated an accident scene for a lawsuit and used a soldering iron to bash in fenders on model cars that he placed in the diorama. It had every detail but the blood!

As for the Tweetsie colors - the G gauge Big Hauler was based on the Tweetsie engine and the real one was done in green.

A friend who reads these posts has chided me and said that the Southern Ry green was called "Sylvan" green, not "Virginia" green. My response is that the color was copied from the British Southern Railway so it should be properly given the British label - whatever that was!

Mark Oles

Dusten,

Like the others have said, a lot of times, it is easier to buy something cheap, then paint it the way you want it.  I've used regular spray paint on my large scale (1/29) locomotives.  Taking them apart can be a little tricky, but if you take your time and don't force anything, you'll likely not break it.  The trick with all painting is to apply light coats several times.

I'd bet a lot of the folks on here have taken their 2-6-0's apart for a variety of reasons, so you could ask how it comes apart, etc. Likely, you won't have to disassemble the running gear to remove the cab.

Good luck, and remember, if you mess it up painting,  you can always re-paint it. 

Mark

Dusten Barefoot

Thanks Ya'll!

I will still be pestering Bachmann for at least a green loco, but for the time beeing I will attempt to paint my OR&W Ry loco I got for Christmas, hope I get a unpainted one this year. Thank you all for the wonderful tips that I need. But still I think it would help to add a green engine to the roster.

Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten Barefoot
www.tweetsierailroad.com
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

amdaylight

Dustan,

My only comment to this whole topic is the next time you go to a swap meet or your local hobby shop and see if some one at either place has some cheap plastic cars to practice on. I usually pick up a couple of box cars and a few tank cars from the $1.00 tables just to practice on before I start the main project. These cars can be HO as for what I use them for it does not matter what scale they are. I then use one of these cars to be sure that the paint is the right consistency for spraying, that it is the color that I wanted, that the air pressure is right and that the air brush is working right. If any of these things are not right I can make adjustments before starting the main project. I also strip these cars and reuse them a half a dozen times before I chuck them in the trash. The reason for the tank car is so useful is that it matches a steam engine boiler in shape and then you can see how it looks before you commit to the expensive locomotive.

By the way keep pestering for something that you want the rest of us might like it also.

Andre  :)

PS
I have several HO steam locomotives in Southern green, just because I like the color. I also have several K-27’s in both HO and O scale in the D&RGW green boiler scheme for the same reason.  ;)

David(UK)

Quote from: Woody Elmore on August 29, 2007, 09:15:21 AMA friend who reads these posts has chided me and said that the Southern Ry green was called "Sylvan" green, not "Virginia" green. My response is that the color was copied from the British Southern Railway so it should be properly given the British label - whatever that was!

In that case you can tell him it was " Malachite green"
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds