News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

has bachmann made one of these?

Started by sctrainguy, August 26, 2007, 10:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sctrainguy

I have a picture directly from the Union Pacific website.  and was wondering if Bachmann made one of these.
it is the most massive loco I have seen the specs are
4-12-2 with tender.  the road name is Union Pacific I think you can go the the union Pacific website to see the pics:
the www.up.com.  go to the general public area and click on heavy haulers or steam and you will find it.  it is the 9000 my god this thing is massive!

Woody Elmore

This monster was available in brass. The long wheelbase of the original UP engine limited it to a few of the UP operating districts. It was a real menace going through switches.

Bachmann would really be making a niche locomotive. Modellers would want it to go around 18 inch radius curves, be either DC or DCC compatible, be highly detailed and, of course, cheap.

SteamGene

I think we've almost beaten the 4-12-2 to death. 
Woody is absolutely correct on his assessment.  He left out the fact that it would look foolish on 18" radius curves - probably with the two center drivers totally off the rails
There's a picture of one going through a switch in the Steam Cyclopedia and I think every brass hat in the division observered the maneuver.  :-\
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

japasha

Gene,

That picture was taken as the locomotive was on it's last run to be displayed in Pomona. UP was glad they didn't have to worry about it returning.. Great point on how big they were. The next time the UP wanted twelve drivers they bought Challengers. A better model that everyone else has done. Medium size steam is needed here. 

Guilford Guy

Alex

RAM

On that last run that they made.  Many of the curves they had men walk along the engine to make sure in was not going to jump they track.  They also did not have anyplace to get coal for fuel.  It was a long slow trip.   

SteamGene

GG,
The reward for the designer of that loco was an all expense paid fifteen year trip to Siberia with plenty of activities to keep him in top physical shape and a diet specially planned to keep weight and colesterol down. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

djp

Get Off My Train !!!

Jake

When will the russians learn that such a humongus loading guage can be a problem?  :P
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Woody Elmore

A little research shows that soviet engine pictured above to be a 4-14-4. Being 5 foot gauge the thing was a real monster. The prototype had the three center drivers blind to negotiate the Russian curves and it spread the rails and derailed. One article I read indicated that it was planned to be a 2-14-4 but the front truck was added to help guide the thing through switches.

It was started in 1935 as class AA20 - the twenty meaning the loading in metric tons per axle. The engine was started in Essen by Krupps but was finished in the USSR. It was planned to pull long coal trains in the Donets Basin.  It was soon retired and was stored until 1960 when it was scrapped. I'm surprised that it wasn't scrapped during the war.

Jake

Huh, 5 foot guage, didn't know that. The loading guage is still huge though.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

SteamGene

The Russians and most of the former Soviet empire still use 5' gauge.  Part of their rationale is that it prevents an invader from riding trains directly into their territory as all trains stop at the border to change trucks. 
For those who don't know, the North Koreans actually sent one train to Seoul at the start of their South Korean invasion. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Hoople

Back to the UP 4-12-2, I emailed BLI and they say they're looking into it for maybe 1.5/2.5 years from now.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

SteamGene

You realize that you are in deep kimchee if that delays their Pacific projects, right?
Chief Brass Hat

Woody Elmore

With the numerous UP Challengers and Big Boys out there, as well as numerous other engine types, I suppose the 4-12-2 might fit right in on a UP layout. I'd love to see the projected minimum radius.