News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sloooooow Train?

Started by Bart611, August 26, 2007, 03:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart611

I am brand new to model railroading.  Got this Bachmann Spectrum for my 60th birthday.  It runs sooooo slow.  I have to turn the controller all the way up to 70 to get it started, and when I go to the max of 100 it still is moving very slow.  I tried running the train for about an hour to break it in, and now I think it is even slowing down more.  I have checked and double checked all the track connections to make sure all the pins were connected.  Is there something wrong with my Baldwin 2-8-0 locomotive, or is it me? ???  I even tried running just the locomotive and tender, and it does the exact same thing. ???

scottychaos

Bart,
I suspect its likely your power pack..not enough power!  ;)
what are you using for the powerpack?
does it say the maximum voltage it gives out?

Scot

Bart611

Hobby Transformer
Model AC1601000
Input AC120V 60Hz 24W
Output AC 16V 1000mA 16VA

It is the one that came with the train.

Paul M.

Have the rails been cleaned? If you don't have a Brite Boy you can use common white vinegar.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Bart611

No, as it was brand new, but I will try that tonight.  Thanks :)

Guilford Guy

Dirty track doesn't often make a train run at a constant slow speed. If you have any other locomotive or power pack try that, even borrow one from a friend. If the engine runs fine on the other/borrowed power pack then its the power pack that came with the set that is wrong. If the engine still runs slowly, try another locomotive on the set power pack and see if that too runs slowly. It's most likely either the power pack or locomotive!
Alex

Bart611

Thanks for the info.  I need to join a local Model RR club here in Denver, so I can find some other people that have trains.  That should add to the fun.

VirginiaCentral

Bart, another source of help is local hobby shops and train shows.  The travelling train shows often feature "train docs" who are experts at trouble shooting and fixing problems.  I see that the Great Train Expo is coming to Denver on November 10 & 11 at the National Western Complex.

http://www.greattrainexpo.com/

Denver.com lists 143 hobby shops (not all train related).  One of those might be able to help you, too.

http://www.denver.com/hobby-shops/business-directory

Jerry from Virginia
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

SteamGene

Clubs can do a lot to teach a new brakeman or gandy dancer.   :D  As  VC says, train shows are a wise investment.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jonathan MacCormack

Caboose Hobbies in Dnver will more than be happy to help you. Go see them.
Jonathan

r.cprmier

First; have you tried other locomotives on the track?  I f they run good, then skip track and go to loco.  Get an analog type (needle) multimeter (you'll need one anyway), check the track voltage with the xformer turned max.  put the dial on "DC" voltage (unless you are using DCC; which, from what I gather, you arent).  Now, one probe on one rail, the other probe on the other rail.  Voltage should be up around 12VDC.  If it pegs backward, just reverse the probes.

If this loco appears to be the culprit, check the CONTACT WIPERS; located probably behind the drivers.  Are they distorted?  making contact?  Present?   Is there a crud build up on that contact point?  Has the engine been over-lubed?  An overly generous coating of Labelle grease accidently on the drivers will act like a resistance, dropping the voltage.

If that appears or is corrected OK, check the wire connections, both at the  tender and engine.  This wire is very small and fragile, and the connection may be really frayed, again causing a voltage drop.  Also check the wipers on the tender truck axles.

When you do all of this, just remember:  Take your time, use proper tools in the proper way, keep track of what you do, and keep your cool.  if you get frustrated, just step away for a few minutes.

Rich

Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

ebtbob

Bart,

You said that the engine is a 2-8-0.   Does it have sound?   If so,  and if you are running on DC not DCC,  then that is the problem.   Sound decoders need a good deal more power just to activate than would normally be used to move an engine.   What I have seen over the past several years is sound that does not come on until almost half throttle,  then more just to make the train move.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

r.cprmier

Bob;
I have Soundtraxx Tsunami decoders in a lot of my engines, and it does not take half throttle to get them activated; in fact, the "drifting" sounds come on as soon as the power is applied to the track, no addressing needed.  At first I thought something was amiss, but a call to Tony's trains confirmed all was well.  I can start an engine rollong at about speed 1 or 2 from my hand held.  I have an NCE system; what do you have?

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

taz-of-boyds

I have a Spectrum N 2-8-0 that was new and running poorly.  I opened it up and when the chassis screws had been tightened, some of the chassis material had been shaved off around the screw head recess.  The shavings were causing the motor havoc.  After I blew (canned air I believe) all the shavings out (it took a bit of fiddling), everything was fine.

Funny things happen,
Charles

PS, I got my four WM 2-8-0's from my clan, they got organized and split up the cost...

ebtbob

Rich,

If I understand your response to me,  you are speaking of using a DCC system.   What I originally said,  was if one uses a regular power pack and DC operation,  then that phenominum of the half throttle,  etc occurs.   With DCC systems like NCE or Digitraxx,  which is what I use,  you are correct,  sound is there the moment the track is powered up.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org