News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sloooooow Train?

Started by Bart611, August 26, 2007, 03:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inder

I recently bought a Bachmann spectrum 2-8-0 and the unit is slower compared to my Kato Amtrak or my Atlas C-28.  About a third of the speed as the Kato Amtrak and about half the speed of the C-628.
But when I turn the dial it only takes about a quarter of the turn and the Bachmann 2-8-0 begins turning at a very slow, constant and precise speed which means it has a phenomenal motor and does not require a lot of voltage to get started.  It's top speed is just not  high but it is a steam model.

However just the other day I plugged in a 9v power supply by accident and I had to turn the dial 90% just to get the locomotives to start moving.

I suspect issues with the power supply since you didn't mention anything about a jerky motion

SteamGene

Real Consolidations were built for tractive effort and not speed.  The model merely duplicates the original.  You will find the same thing with the Proto 2000 USRA heavy 2-10-2 - it's slow. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

dwight.dwart

Both of my 2-8-0s started running slow with a lot of gear and motor noise after a couple of hours running.
I had to take them apart and put a drop of oil on the motor bearings to get then to run right.

Inder

Yes it's slow but boy can it pull some cars.  It pulls cars like it's nobody's business

dwight.dwart

I have the stock decoder in one, and a MRC decoder in the other. The MRC decoder is much more responsive and faster than the stock one.