News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale Track

Started by M1FredQ, May 06, 2013, 10:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M1FredQ

Chuck

Can you recommend some power sources just for starters?

smcgill

This should do until you go crazy like the rest!
40 VA POWER SUPPLY WITH MOMENTUM
http://www.usatrains.com/usatrainspowerpacks.html

Chuck N

Fred:

I sent you an email yesterday morning making suggestions.

In case you didn't get it here it is again.

I have two power supplies, both are by "Bridgewerks".  One is the Magnum 1000-DL.  This unit has up to 15 amp power output and has a remote keyfob for on/off speed and direction as well as a throttle on the unit.  The other is the Magnum-10SR.  The unit has 10 amp maximum output.  I have added a remote unit, UR-15, to the Magnum 10 SR.  This is a similar keyfob to the one on the 1000SL unit, but the UR-15 plugs into the back of the 10SR.

Both power supplied have LED indicators on the from for voltage and amps.  Some kind of metering is strongly recommended.  It lets you monitor what is happening.  Some units out there have it, others do not.

I think that you will be hard pressed to order a power supply from anyone and get it by the 24th.

You can see Bridgewerks power supplies at <www.bridgewerks.com>.  Charles Ro carries the USA trains power supplies.  That shop is also the manufacturer of the USA Trains prodlucts; cars, engines, track, power supplies, etc.  AristoCraft also has power supplies.

There are other power options out there, but I am not familiar with them.  You can go to <mylargescale.com>  and go through posts about power supplies.  There is a forum on that site called track power, or something very similar.

Chuck

M1FredQ

Hi Chuck
I received the later one.

I sent you a response. Bridgewerks was very helpful and I have one of the Power units coming my way. They said I should have it by Thurs or Friday in time for the Holiday weekend.

My wife informed me this morning we will have 5 families here with their kids as well as some of our relatives.

Thanks Chuck and everyone else helping me. I learned a lot!!!!

M1FredQ

Also

Regarding that GP-38. U all were right it doesn't come with the soundsystem installed.

BUT

as a tech fella from USA told me the plug ins and mounts are all there for putting a system in.

Are those Bachmann soundsystems I read about in the catalog compatable??

I figure if I'm am going for a more serious Power Source might as well add the "sounds".

Not to mention outside would be an attention getter!!!!!

Chuck N

Fred:

I just sent you a message via the Bachmann message center (at 12:46).  Did you get it?  

Chuck

PS:  I strongly suggest that you become acquainted with a local Large Scale group.  You are asking a lot of very good questions.  What part of the country do you call home?  We don't need your address, just city, town, or region will help.  There are a lot of mistakes to  be made.  Talk to the locals, so that you don't repeat all of our mistakes.  There are things that are unique to each part of the country.  For instance drainage wasn't a big problem in Denver, but I sure wish that I had planned for it here in Virginia.  

M1FredQ

Just to get back to everyone.

Weekend went well. It rained on Memorial Day but dried up later. We dried off the track

and everything worked without a hitch. The kids stayed outside even the grown-ups were wandering over to the table I had set up near the track to catch some of the action.

The New power pak is awesome very easy to use. Slow speed start ups and slow decelerations it was fun.

I was never able to get the flat cars. I didn't realize flat cars were so popular!! Most places I contacted were sold out.

Thanks everyone for all the input. I did take some video and once I get the time to post it I will do it!!!

Chuck N

Fred:

Thanks for the update.  Glad everything worked out.

Chuck

M1FredQ

Just found out today TRAINWORLD has a big sale on FLAT CARS in G-Scale!!!!

At least I may have some for 4th of July if they don't sell out.

Just as an aside, I never expected to be into the Large scale outside.

Yesterday after baseball games some friends came over and we were relaxing outside

Joey brought some trains out and the kids were able to keep busy with the trains and we guys were able to get through a beer and some conversation.

I am really liking the idea of just keeping it up all Summer outside-as if I need another project.