motor for HO silver mining operation

Started by longhaul, June 22, 2013, 08:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longhaul

Hi guys, I have a real neat HO scale mining operation that I want to use in my layout. It came as kit and was mounted on a board about 8 x 12 inches It came with a solar operated motor that would drive a gear that would cause a bucket to up and down in the tower. The solar motor is shot and I need to find a replacement. Battery operatyed would be better with a on/off switch. any ideas where I could find something??

LONGHAUL

Chuck N

So many questions, so little time.  We are not mind readers.  Who made the kit?  What numbers or other ID  is on the battery?  In my mind your question is a lot like, "I'm going on a picnic tomorrow, what is the weather forecast?".  There isn't enough information to tell us if you are in Fairbanks, Alaska or Miami, Florida, or anywhere else in the world.  

Tell us what you have as specifically as possible.  Depending on that we maybe able to help.

Chuck

PS,  If  this is a Bachmann product made for HO,  you have posted in the large scale forum.  Very different scale and I am not aware of any such product.  As a geologist, it sounds pretty neat.

g-guage_trains

Hi, All Electronics has solar kit with solar motor, #KFK-2 for $6.00 plus shipping.
alanrr

tac

This question might be answered on the H0 forum.  Although the models concerned is going to be used on a large-scale layout, it is NOT a large-scale train.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

richg

Questions like this can be answered much easier if you post a photo of the item. We are not very good at guessing on certain questions.
Get a Photo Bucket account and upload your photos there. Then link them to  foum using the IMG link.

Rich

longhaul

Quote from: Chuck N on June 22, 2013, 10:21:00 PM
So many questions, so little time.  We are not mind readers.  Who made the kit?  What numbers or other ID  is on the battery?  In my mind your question is a lot like, "I'm going on a picnic tomorrow, what is the weather forecast?".  There isn't enough information to tell us if you are in Fairbanks, Alaska or Miami, Florida, or anywhere else in the world.  

Tell us what you have as specifically as possible.  Depending on that we maybe able to help.

Chuck

PS,  If  this is a Bachmann product made for HO,  you have posted in the large scale forum.  Very different scale and I am not aware of any such product.  As a geologist, it sounds pretty neat.
Sorry

longhaul

Quote from: g-guage_trains on June 23, 2013, 12:21:31 PM
Hi, All Electronics has solar kit with solar motor, #KFK-2 for $6.00 plus shipping.
alanrr
Thanks

GG1onFordsDTandI

Hey long haul, how about sharing a bit more on the progress of this repair, and info about how exactly the mining motor is used? How big is it? Geared? What company is the accessory from? etc. We want to learn too! You have obviously tweaked the interest of some, and your lack of depth in info has left a few apparently frustrated. Although you gave us decent motor source info we have no idea what it was actually for. Warning attitudes may build and help may dwindle for you in the future should you start skipping out on giving info others have asked for. An "its all about me" attitude doesn't  win friends.  Take a minute we did ;).

Doneldon

longhaul-

You shouldn't have much trouble jury rigging a replacement for your mining motor but it's just about impossible to know
what to sugges without some more information, as several others have mentioned. Please give us that info and we'll do our
best to help.

First, though, make sure that your motor has actually failed, not the solar power supply. Solar motors operate on tiny
power so I'd start checking with a single 1.5 volt battery and move up until you get to nine volts. If it doesn't go you will
need a new motor and power source. If it does work, you'll only need the power supply. Both fixes are likely to be simple ones
but we need more information.
                                                 -- D

longhaul

This mining operation was made by SOLARTS GOLD MINE It is solar powered by a wire attached to a small solar panel to put in a sunny window. There is a small shed 3x3x2,  a tower about 6"high with 4 legs, a 9"piece of track 1/2 wide with 3 cars on it for loading the gravel into and several other misc. parts. Be aware the only moving part is the bucket that moves upand down as the gear on the motor drives a wheel that pulls the cable to raise and lower the bucket, everything else is soldered to the base plate. This was a gift to my father-in-law who was a great railroad man and had a 4 foot by 24 foot L shaped basement layout. The parts for the mining operation have been removed from the base they are in good condition although tarnished.
Larry (longhaul)

WoundedBear

Check this site for SOLART stuff.

http://www.solarmade.com/SolartsExecutiveGifts.htm

Look at the "panel and motor" link and I think you will find what you need. If not, contact them.

This should be your mine model, correct?

Sid

GG1onFordsDTandI

Thanks for the leg work W.B.,
Longhaul, nice bit o metal, worth the repair effort.
Doneldons logic chain is good enough for me for a start. Diagnosing the problem to 100% certainty before committing to the motor would be a smart move. Just for kicks, how about a description or photo of the mechanism? Does it wind-up then reverse? Eccentric on a disk to rod and/or cable? Manual or automatic? Constant run or switched?
If your into the hack and play aspect of your repair, the lawn and garden isle at the local "stuff-mart" or dollar-ish store may carry some cheap solar items for parts to repair it with too. Dollar-ish stores are a great source of cheap modeling goodies, parts, and especially for some electronics like L.E.D.'s, flasher boards, and low volt dc motors. Keychains, toys, party favors, and kitchen gadgets are my favorite isles.     

longhaul

This would be esscentric on a disk and it will run as long as the solar panel will power it. This is why I did not want to replace it with a solar panel, i wanted battery power on/off. All the power does is run the bucket up and down in the tower. The wood board had a copper floor all of the parts were soldered to.   the wood board cracked but I did not want it anyway, I thought it would dispay better as a mine set up in the mountains or dessert. 
I thank each of you that helped with this and WD who finally identified the source.
The parts minus the wood board may end up on e-bay if anyone is interested.
Larry