News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

cork roadbed

Started by SteamGene, August 26, 2007, 05:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Does anybody here wet cork roadbed before fashioning it into a curve?  I never have, but the Woodland Scenics roadbed says that it doesn't have to be wet. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Stephen Warrington

I have never had to wet my cork roadbed to form a curve even down to 15 radius on a old old layout I gave to a friend.

Stephen

WoundedBear

I've never done it either, Gene.

Sid

Guilford Guy

I think because cork may crack if been really tightly the water may work to keep it from snapping into 2 pieces. I know I have lost chips off the end of roadbed.
Alex

SteamGene

Quote from: Guilford Guy on August 26, 2007, 10:21:22 PM
I think because cork may crack if been really tightly the water may work to keep it from snapping into 2 pieces

Huh?  You normally write better than this.  Do proofread and send again, please.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Hunt

Gene,
There are several myths in model railroading. Soaking cork roadbed to lay curve is one of them.

Never soak cork to install it unless you are following the directions of the manufacturer of the cork roadbed.

Guilford Guy

I believe that some brands of cork have a tendency to break or snap if put under to much strain or pressure especially when laying sharp curves. On several occasions I have had cork break in half, or have pieces near the end of the roadbed break off. I think the theory is that water will somehow make the cork more flexible or less prone to breaking.
Alex

SteamGene

Hunt,
That's a myth I've never heard before.  I've never had trouble with cork roadbed doing anything bad.  I guess Woodland Scenics has heard the myth. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Jake

IMHO I wouldn't use WS roadbed, I asked at the MR forums for comparisons on cork & WS, and cork got better reviews. In fact, aside from scenery, I wont be using WS at all. I've recently made a final decision to use tried & true open grid benchwork.

Edit, fixed a grammar issue. "Cork be better reviews" how'd I miss that???
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

SteamGene

Well, when I bought my first set of supplies for the VT&P, my LHS had two 24 foot rolls and I bought them along with a box of cork road bed.  I'm using one of the rolls now as the box is now empty and I plan on getting their yard sheets, though I may make a measurement change and just use homosote and get it to level with the roadbeded track. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Hunt

Quote from: SteamGene on August 27, 2007, 05:47:08 PM
I may make a measurement change and just use homosote ...
Gene,
(Psst -- it is Homasote)   ;)

SteamGene

Hunt,
You must be one of those damyankees who spell Alleghany incorrectly, too.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Hunt

Quote from: SteamGene on August 27, 2007, 10:42:13 PM
Hunt,
You must be one of those damyankees who spell Alleghany incorrectly, too.
Gene
Gene,
Allegheny, with one letter a, is a locomotive type.  ;)

r.cprmier

Gene;
The trade name for the compressed processed newsprint product IS "Homasote"; that is, of course, unless you are trying to  anger the "Rainbow Coalition" or something.
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Hunt,
The 2-6-6-6 did most of its service going through Alleghany.  Lima, being up north, spelled the word "Allegheny" after C&O said they wanted it named "Alleghany."  There is, in fact, a COHS book entitled "Alleghany With an A." 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat