News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum HO DCC Streetcar Wheel Cleaning

Started by HOART, May 25, 2013, 04:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOART

The only DCC I have are two HO  Peter Witt street cars .I have always cleaned locomotive and trolley car wheels by placing a small piece of paper towel over the track,wet with a small amount of isopropyl alcohol , and running the cars across the paper towel .Always making sure not to get alochol on the paint .I am having trouble doing this with the Peter Witt cars because they are very close to the rails .Any one have a better way of cleaning the wheels ? I also use the " Tidy Track Roto Wheel Cleaner " However ,seems to me the DCC units need to be kept extra clean,more so than the DC ones . Thanks for your input ! Art

Doneldon

Quote from: HOART on May 25, 2013, 04:23:06 PM
Peter Witt cars because they are very close to the rails .Any one have a better way of cleaning the wheels ?

Art-

Just use a narrow piece of paper towel.

-- D

HOART

Thank you D .I had been using  a piece about an inch and a half wide .I tried using a piece 3/8" wide and it worked . However,it is not easy to do because of the low hanging things in front of the front wheels .Again, THANKS ! Art

Doneldon

HOART-

I understand. I find that my fingers are growing so large that they have a bit of trouble manipulating small
objects, too. I wonder of one of the wheel cleaning brushes might help you. I'm thinking of the things which
have two electrified brushes so your trolley's wheels will run and be cleaned.
                                                                                                                     -- D

HOART

I never  thought of this .Ebay has one listed for about $15.00 .Do you know if the metal brushes will harm the wheels with repeated use ? Someone on the internet said you can cut 3 pieces of solid wire ( #12 I think ) about 1/2" wider than the paper towel with some extra on the ends .He had the ends turned down and pushed in small pilot holes One outside each rail and one between the rails .The three wires hold the paper towel down .Again thanks for your input . Art

Doneldon

HOART-

I imagine the brushes would harm the wheels if you let them go for a long
time but I'm sure there's no problem for the time it takes to clean your
drivers.
              --D

HOART

Thanks ! Makes sense to me .Your idea of using a smaller piece works .I tried something this morning and it works great .I set up a track just for cleaning wheels .Two 9" EZ tracks with a straight rerailer between them . Cut paper
1 1/2"  X 5"The paper was placed over the rerailer (next to the power cord) .Each end was tightly tucked under the rerailer .The cars ran over the alcohol wet paper with no problem .Using coffee filter paper is better than paper towel .I use a small spray bottle to wet the paper ( a used lens cleaner bottle ) Again ,thanks for sharing . Enjoy ! Art