News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

couplers

Started by longhaul, June 01, 2013, 07:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

to jbrock47: The Kadee tool has been available for ages. It's hard to describe one but they do the trick.

As for thread - lay the spring down and insert the tread between the coils (as if you were going to cut the spring in half.) then use whatever tool you want to insert it. Just be careful removing the thread because you could dislodge the newly seated spring.

Another alternative is to go on Ebay and purchase a used electron microscope.

A word of advice - I don't know how Kadee does it but, apparently, as one gets older the springs get smaller.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Woody Elmore on June 04, 2013, 09:01:40 AM
A word of advice - I don't know how Kadee does it but, apparently, as one gets older the springs get smaller.

Funny--I've noticed the same thing happens with small screws. ...

Never mind. ...

;)

jbrock27

Woody, yes I knew that too.  I don't have trouble holding or moving the spring where I want using an Xacto, where I have some trouble is finding the location the spring fits into on the knuckle and positioning it in the right location.  And thank you for the good description on using the thread trick.  My fear would also be dislodging the spring while removing the thread. 

Len, just so happens I received an order of a set of 4 pins vises.   Sounds like another good way to put them to use.

JBJ, I agree, that the same thing happens with small screws.
Keep Calm and Carry On

longhaul

Thanks again guys for your help, I might try lens replacement by pluging and redrilliong, it sounds like something you can enjoy doing and get a good sense of "nice job"
longhaul

rogertra

I use an X acto knife with a #11 blade to install lost springs.

It's simple. Put a blob of spit on the very tip of the blade, insert the blade into the spring's coils close to one end, insert the longer end onto the "shank" pin of the coupler shaft and then carefully insert the other end into the coupler knuckle.  The little bit of spit on the end of the blade keeps the spring in place, mostly.  :)

Of course, you're going to lose a few but that's why coupler springs come in bulk packs.

jbrock27

Thanks for the spit tip Roger.
Keep Calm and Carry On

GG1onFordsDTandI

Tip for finding screws and springs, listen close and you will hear them laughing at you! ;)
(or a blown speaker magnet{too much Clutch}, tape, and a stick)

Len

Actually, the fastest way to find dropped couplers, springs, T-pins, etc., is to walk around the room barefoot, after dark, with the lights off and your eyes closed.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

...and a good way to find missing LEGOS as well.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: jbrock27 on June 05, 2013, 03:31:57 PM
Thanks for the spit tip Roger.

My late grandpa always used to say, "Spit's good for lots of things."

jlc41

Can someone explain how the decouplers work???Thanks

jbrock27

I think it has been mentioned to you before, if I am not mistaken little buddy, to start a New Thread with a question like that, instead of latching on to an (old in this case) existing one ;)

I would still post new, but which ones are you inquiring about?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Quote from: Hunt on January 23, 2016, 11:05:16 PM

jlc41,

When in doubt, start a new topic. (Would have been better to start a new topic with your question.)

Keep Calm and Carry On

jlc41