News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How about Hiro

Started by Rollin Mayham, June 03, 2013, 11:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollin Mayham

What do you guys think of an HO scale Hiro.

Chaz

I think Hiro is a good possibility given that is a very popular character amongst older and newer fans alike, (not to mention internationally!), and appears in the show regularly.  For a first engine to be introduced past season 7 by Bachmann, he'd be an ideal starting point for that reason.  Though he would be an expensive model...easily over 100 dollars to put together and sell.  A locomotive with 8 drive wheels and a tender with two four wheel bogies with a wide variety of details and features that the character already has would take a lot of time and money for Bachmann to put together.  

All the same though, I have zero doubt that a Bachmann Hiro would look fantastic. :)
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Rollin Mayham

They actually wouldn't have to do alot they already have a Niagra steam engine they would only have to figure out the tender then just slap a face on it and call it Hiro

Chaz

Bachmann makes their engines from the Thomas line from scratch.  They have never reused toolings from their other product lines, aside from some of their rolling stock and buildings.  

Also, a Niagra is too long for a Hiro model.  Hiro's wheel configuration is a 2-8-2, and a Niagra's configuration is a 4-8-4.

ThomasFan247

Remember though that HO Scale locos with eight drive wheels can't typically maneuver 18" radius curves, so that could eliminate Hiro as a choice unless Bachmann decides to break their trend and create locos with greater radii restrictions.

Zorran202

There's also the possibility of making the middle wheels flange-less like the HO scale Emily's coaches/Large scale Emily's Coaches + James, to make things a lot easier for an engine like Hiro to turn a tad tight curve wouldn't it?

SodorAdventures

Quote from: ThomasFan247 on June 05, 2013, 03:22:58 PM
Remember though that HO Scale locos with eight drive wheels can't typically maneuver 18" radius curves, so that could eliminate Hiro as a choice unless Bachmann decides to break their trend and create locos with greater radii restrictions.

Plus Gordon and Henry and Spencer *In my opinion* The gordon set came with 22".... I am not starting anything, just relaying info.

Plus, Hiro sounds great!
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

ThomasFan247

The "coughing" wasn't necessary...and I was not aware of that. Point taken :)

Cirkit:)

While I think Bachmann would do a superb job with Hiro, I think he's less likely because of the previously discussed issue with the drive wheels and curve radii, but also because of the tender. I'd think the bogies would be smooth on long sections of straight and curved track, but on points they might not do so well. My worry is that one side will cross the points, while the other will derail itself behind. Minor worry there.

He's a great character, but I'd rather see Bachmann attempt Murdoch, or Molly, or perhaps redesign Spencer's body...? Who knows.

Chaz

I don't think Hiro is the engine we should expect next year or maybe even in the next year or two, but his possibility of being in the range is still up in the air.  If I were to make a "top 5" list of engines I'd expect to see in the future Hiro would be 5th for that reason.  In theory, he'd be an extremely nice model and he holds the right potential, and he would be a great seller, but in reality it'd be very expensive to put together and sell.  Personally, I don't think the radius thing is that much of an issue, but I can understand why people would see that as to why that would hold Hiro back.

Quote from: Cirkit:) on June 06, 2013, 10:02:36 PM

He's a great character, but I'd rather see Bachmann attempt Murdoch, or Molly, or perhaps redesign Spencer's body...? Who knows.

It's funny you mention Murdoch...he'd be worse than Hiro if he was on a 18'' radius curve. :P

ScotNick

Hiro would be great, however all of the Bachmann models had real model counterparts, and not just CGI-models. I read in an interview once that HIT sends Bachmann the dimensions of their model if they decide to make one.

Quote from: ModelTrainFan538 on June 06, 2013, 10:32:22 PM

It's funny you mention Murdoch...he'd be worse than Hiro if he was on a 18'' radius curve. :P

But you have to bear in mind that Murdoch as well as all of the 9F class engines have their middle driving wheel without a flange, which equals to four wheels.

thomasj219

I wouldn't mind a Hiro model, not my first choice but he would look quite nice.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Chaz

Quote from: ScotNick on June 06, 2013, 11:36:10 PM

But you have to bear in mind that Murdoch as well as all of the 9F class engines have their middle driving wheel without a flange, which equals to four wheels.

I actually didn't think of that, silly me!

Quote from: ScotNick on June 06, 2013, 11:36:10 PM
Hiro would be great, however all of the Bachmann models had real model counterparts, and not just CGI-models. I read in an interview once that HIT sends Bachmann the dimensions of their model if they decide to make one.

I don't think that's going to stop Bachmann from producing characters who were only introduced in full CGI.  They'll still be able to show them accurate dimensions in an alternative way, if they really need to. 

Aside from Oliver, I feel any engine Bachmann is going to do at this point would most likely be characters who were introduced past season 7.  It'll be a first, but I think it'd only be a matter of time before we find out who the first newer character Bachmann will introduce will be (locomotive wise that is).  I don't think Hiro would be the first one in this case, but at the same time one thing a lot of users on this forum should know at this point is that Bachmann has surprised us on occasion and will probably do so for many years to come.  Either way I think the result should be pretty interesting. :)

Cirkit:)

Quote from: ModelTrainFan538 on June 06, 2013, 10:32:22 PM
I don't think Hiro is the engine we should expect next year or maybe even in the next year or two, but his possibility of being in the range is still up in the air.  If I were to make a "top 5" list of engines I'd expect to see in the future Hiro would be 5th for that reason.  In theory, he'd be an extremely nice model and he holds the right potential, and he would be a great seller, but in reality it'd be very expensive to put together and sell.  Personally, I don't think the radius thing is that much of an issue, but I can understand why people would see that as to why that would hold Hiro back.

Quote from: Cirkit:) on June 06, 2013, 10:02:36 PM

Oh crud, I'd forgotten xD
And.. "Red Box" already has their own version of the character.
What other standard-gauge tender engines can Bachmann do that they haven't done already? I can't think of any.

Chaz

It's hard to say, outside of Hiro actually.  We're somewhat limited here... With Murdoch out of the picture, tender engines such as Hank, Molly, Neville, and a few of the others sound highly unlikely to appear due to lack of appearances and popularity.  It seems like the smaller engines who haven't been made yet have a better chance, IMO.