News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Factory decoder reset for RS3, GP9 and FA2?

Started by wayover50, June 04, 2013, 01:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayover50

New to DCC and this forum.

In a nutshell, I bought a DCC onboard Bachmann RS3, GP9 and (2) FA2 DCC and Sound engines. I initially successfully programmed each with a 4-digit address but being new to my Digitrax DT402 throttle usage I unknowingly apparently changed CV values somehow with (3) of the (4) engines trying to get back to square one because all were on the main at the time (yeah, I know....won't make this mistake again). I've read through previous posts here and saw mention of all Bachmann decoders factory reset is CV8=8 which I set all (3) engines to. I have 4 digit control again but now when I advance the speed control on the DT402 I have to bump it up to 6 or 7 before the engines(s) will start moving....which wasn't the case out of the box.

What else do I need to do please?

Joe Baldwin

Wayover,
Get a locobuffer usb for your Digitrax (~$60).  Download JMRI (free) and use JMRI's Decoder Pro and stop the insanity of CV programming.  Your life will be simpler and your enjoyment of the trains will increase.  With Decoder Pro you can reset the decoders reprogram them and be done with it in a few minutes and have predictable results. 

And if you really want to get good with decoder pro, forget the locobuffer and buy a SPROG II ($100) instead.  It works with JMRI and is simply amazing in how it works with all the balky different decoders, sound etc. (MTH excepted)

Yes their is some learning curve for decoder pro but it is nothing compared to learning how to program CVs. 

Just my opine of course.   :)

Joe
Joe Daddy

bapguy

Go to the Soundtraxx web site. In the lower right corner is a link for manuals. Click on that and scroll down to the Bachmann name. Click on that to down load the factory defaults for the CV's. CV2 set to around 15 might get your locos to start sooner.  I use the Digitrax PR3 and Decoder Pro. It's great. Joe.

wayover50

Quote from: bapguy on June 10, 2013, 01:46:04 PM
Go to the Soundtraxx web site. In the lower right corner is a link for manuals. Click on that and scroll down to the Bachmann name. Click on that to down load the factory defaults for the CV's. CV2 set to around 15 might get your locos to start sooner.  I use the Digitrax PR3 and Decoder Pro. It's great. Joe.

Sorry about the long delay posting back. I found the Soundtraxx Bachmann link....and the default CV's for the FA2 didn't work for squat (engine wouldn't move - only had the sound and lights).

I tried resetting the decoder with CV8=8 with mixed results - meaning it now ran but when I tried to assign a 4 digit address it wouldn't respond.

Through trial and error I found that setting the address to the default 03 restored full operation including lights and sound. ??? Didn't make sense to me whatsoever why it worked with the default 03 address but wouldn't when I set up a 4 digit address.

Long story short - and I absolutely don't understand the why - to get the engine to run with a 4 digit address I ended up having to first set CV29=38, then assign the 4 digit address, after which I then set CV 3 & 4 to my preference along with CV 25=2 for a linear speed then adjusted the bell ring rate and last lowered the master volume.

And while this has nothing to do with the above, all but one of the (3) the Bachmann DCC on board w/sound -and one of the (2) DCC on board only I bought were over greased in spades - gobs of it thrown out from the gearing along with oil from one end of the frame lip to the other on both sides. Apparently a new hire, lack of QC or both as why.

genetk44

I'm having a similar problem with my RS3 sound on board...the bell button makes the horn go, the horn button makes the bell ring and all the other sound effects are gone.....tried resetting using CV8 to 8 but it did not make any difference.  And yes most of the Bachmann locos I buy are grossly over-greased.
Anybody have suggestions?