News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

em1 weight and pulling power

Started by topbrass, July 31, 2013, 08:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topbrass

Has anyone added weight to this brute?  What has been your experience with the length of train an EM1 can pull up a grade of 1.5 or 2%?
I'm hoping for train length of 27-29 cars.

Len

The shipping weight of the EM-1 is 3.5 pounds. Even allowing a full pound for packaging, at 2.5 pounds you shouldn't have to add any weight at all to pull more than most layouts could handle.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

andrewd

I think you should add weight to increase the pulling power it's up to you really do it or don't do it

jonathan

OK.  Please consider the following:

The Spectrum EM-1 is a wonderful, heavy locomotive, that could probably pull 40+ cars on level track.  There are 16 driving wheels, a strong motor, not to mention the weight.  My two have been running great since I got them.

At the same time, the connection from motor to the drivers is complicated.  How much stress do you want to put on that drive train?  How often will you run this loco? How long do you want it to last?  Will replacement parts be available when/if something breaks down?

I made a rule for myself:  Keep the train length down to 20 cars.  Additionally, if the length of train is longer, add a locomotive, preferably another EM-1.  :) 

A 1.5% to 2% grade will affect the length some, but that doesn't sound like a drastic grade.  You may want to consider replacing the plastic couplers with some metal ones, if you plan on pulling lengthy trains.

BTW, there is a boiler weight already installed in the smokebox area.  There is not much room for added weight that I noticed.  Please know that I am an advocate for adding lead whenever possible.  Just not sure this loco would be worth the effort, nor would it be healthy for the complex drive train.

Just two more cents for the pot.

Regards,

Jonathan

GN.2-6-8-0

Listen to what Jonathons telling you and save yourself some trouble he's correct in that these models made today have more complicated drive systems than back in the olden days when adding weight was a common way of increasing tractive effort in our engines. In those times connection between motor and gearbox and drivers was simple and pretty much indestructible.
Rocky Lives

Doneldon

Quote from: jonathan on August 02, 2013, 08:14:18 PM
Just two more cents for the pot.
Regards,
Jonathan

Jonathan-

If you can get pot for two cents, please get me a dollar's worth or so. Thanx.

-- D

GN.2-6-8-0

Alright was at our club this morning to set up my wi throttle on my iphone and brought my EM 1 with me to see just what it would pull' our Max grade is 1•5% and it took 37 cars up with just a bit of slipping' removing the 3 50' covered hoppers for a total of 34 40' cars seemed just about a ideal train length with no slipping
so on level track 40 cars shouldn't be unreasonable number I would guess.
Rocky Lives

Doneldon

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on August 03, 2013, 04:12:58 PM
Alright was at our club this morning to set up my wi throttle on my iphone and brought my EM 1 with me to see just what it would pull' our Max grade is 1•5% and it took 37 cars up with just a bit of slipping' removing the 3 50' covered hoppers for a total of 34 40' cars seemed just about a ideal train length with no slipping

GN-

If it pulls 34 cars up 1.5% it will do a whole lot better than 40 cars on the flat.

-- D

GN.2-6-8-0

As per J's recomendations don't go hog wild on most layouts 40 cars are a pretty impressive train ;D
Rocky Lives

Jerrys HO

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on August 03, 2013, 04:12:58 PM

Thanks GN for the info. 34 cars is impressive for one engine,one motor and no traction tires or BF snot.
I am not a big steam fan but you guy's are sure beginning to convert me. I was talking with balrog21 just this morning and he asked which Bachmann steamer did I think was one of the best as his father wanted to get one and my answer was the EM 1. I know for a fact it is the next locomotive purchase I will make with the sound module.
No jonathan it will not have B&O on it. ::) ;D

Jerry