News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Wiring Problem

Started by keystone, June 07, 2013, 03:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

Joe-

I'm happy to hear that you are running again. Don't let anyone try to tell you that you have a reverse loop just because the trains reverse direction; as long as the track doesn't go through a turnout getting back to itself there is no reverse loop. Some folks will use the term a little loosely, meaning the track "loops" around 180o and then goes the other direction, but that's not a reverse loop. I know that some of the language can be a bit fussy at times, but we don't communicate accurately if we use the words too loosely.
                                                   -- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on June 08, 2013, 10:23:37 PM
Joe-

Don't let anyone try to tell you that you have a reverse loop just because the trains reverse direction; as long as the track doesn't go through a turnout getting back to itself there is no reverse loop.

Didn't I say that below?  :)

Doneldon

Quote from: rogertra on June 09, 2013, 02:14:01 AM
Joe-

Don't let anyone try to tell you that you have a reverse loop just because the trains reverse direction; as long as the track doesn't go through a turnout getting back to itself there is no reverse loop.

Roger-

As I did on June 7, before there was speculation about the "potential" for two reverse
loops after he showed us a track plan with none. Do you remember who brought
that up???
                     -- D

Jerrys HO

Joe
Like finding a needle in a hay stack.
I am surprised that the auto reverser didn't pick up the short from the nail. The light on the module would have went out or blinked. Your loco would have still stopped but the light would have not been steadily glowing.

Roger and Dennis
Your both right in a way.
Roger is correct a pic is worth a thousand words.
In this case I think Joe had the wrong pic or I missed something. I believe he meant Kens post.

QuoteJerry's latest post of the simple dogbone is it . My track is a series of over and under double track so more complicated but mine streched out is a "Dog Bone". No cross over that I see on his simplified.

As Roger noted with the two crossovers in my pic there is potential for two reverse loops.

Either way it was nailed by Joe. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jerry

keystone

All....No explanation for the short disappearing when I had the auto reverser and insulated joiners in the system. As before the Engine ran good untill hitting the isolated sections. Only thing I can think of, is that the nail shorting must have been intermitting. I'm sure that placed a "bug" in my thinking.
If I may continue, Now that I have the main juice problem solved, I might be causing another,I want to install a crossover, 2 switches to get from one track to the other , immediately I see a short, so I would isolate the track where the 2 switches meet ( insulated rail joiners in the cross track)  Do I get beyond this problem,  if I wire up the auto reverser that is now surplus,  solving the potential shorting and get smooth running ? I hate to solder wires experimenting.
Joe

jward

no, merely insulating the crossover between the two switches will not prevent a short. there must be a section completely isolated from the rest of the layout, wired through the autoreverser (dcc) or an auxiliary reverse switch (dc or dcc).....

btw, I am the one from outside Pittsburgh. rankin to be exact. I believe ebtnut is also from the area.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

keystone

Guess I'm in trouble again. My plan is to install a right hand switch to a right hand switch. (Sort of back to back )the straight sections on both switches parallel. I'm pretty sure I know what you are saying. I have to put a section between the 2 switches. I come from way back and this DCC has me floored. I seldom experienced troubles or could figure them out with the old DC. But what a fantastic improvement. I was doing "G' scale when this DCC came on board. I could send a picture by email but not sure how to do it here!
H-0 got a great kickoff back in early 40's when parties from this area were among the best.
Sure thank you for your help.
Joe

Jerrys HO

Joe
QuoteGuess I'm in trouble again. My plan is to install a right hand switch to a right hand switch.

Trouble? noway, more fun,yes.

I found using the #6 crossover was cheaper and easier than using two #6 switches separate assuming you are using EZ track. If you do add crossovers or the switches you will then have use for the reverse modules you purchased.

Where I believe responders got confused is in your original post you stated you had crossovers when you didn't. It sounds like you have a figure eight double dogbone that goes over and under.

To post a pic you will need an outside source such as photobucket (which is free)
Once you establish an account upload your pics to photobucket and use the IMG tab to copy then paste it to your post.

As you were modeling G when DCC came along I was modeling O. I found DCC in HO a lot more fun and interesting to work with. I have learned plenty on this board and reading Internet links and books. You never stop learning.

Jerry

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on June 09, 2013, 03:04:57 AM
Quote from: rogertra on June 09, 2013, 02:14:01 AM
Joe-

Roger-

As I did on June 7, before there was speculation about the "potential" for two reverse
loops after he showed us a track plan with none. Do you remember who brought
that up???

-- D

Looking back, you did indeed.  :)

However, I must admit I joined this thread only recently.