News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Water filler hatch on Heisler

Started by Steve Magee, June 08, 2013, 07:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Magee

OK, I give in. Where is it? Or are we seeing the first waterless steam locomotive - after all, there are fireless steam locos, so why not waterless? :-)

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

mabloodhound

Yup, they forgot it.   You have to add your own.   Get a small piece of tubing and cut one to fit into the coal load on the tender.   You'll have to fashion a hatch cover too.   Or there might be something available from one of the detail manufacturers.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Steve Magee

Thought they might have. No problem, it is getting converted to a wood burner, so there will be plenty of space to have a filler pipe and cover sticking up through the wood load. Only wood burners alloweed on the Switchback to Log Camp section on the Lumber Mountain RR  :)

Steve

ebtnut

It is possible that the might not have "forgotten" the water hatch.  The prototype may been designed to use a syphon to take water directly from a lineside pond or creek, saving the expense of building a traditional water tank.  The Shays on the Cass Scenic RR syphon water from a lineside tank car body set in a stream bed when they have to climb all the way up to Bald Knob. 

RGS Goose

Hi Everyone,
When I got my Heisler I confirmed the lack of a water hatch on the rear bunker.
I don't really know what Bachmann's intentions were when they designed the Heisler, whether they forgot a water hatch, or left it off intentionally.
I believe it may have been left off intentionally, as I have looked at the photo of the original Heisler that this appears to have been modeled off (which I think I got from an earlier posting on the Bachmann On30 Forum), and it appears to have a siphon hose wrapped around the bunker.
As a result of seeing that, I don't intend to try to build a hatch into my model, which is what I thought I may need to do.
Happy Railroading.
Trevor.

Stevelewis

I seem to remember  reading  an  article in a mag. some  years  back  which  did state  that  the  early  Heislers  did  use  the  syphon tube method  to replenish  their  water  supply.
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!