News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williams U33C Diesel

Started by ole-gerald, June 14, 2013, 09:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ole-gerald

i purchased 2 U33C Deisel locos about a year ago.  they run and pull great.  with very little power applied to the track the engines will run fast.  the lighting is very dim.  applying enough power to brighten the lights will run the engine too fast to stay on track.  is there any way to slow down these motors or limit the voltage to the motors so lighting will be brighter?

Chessie1971

You can put led's in your engine or lower voltage bulb and also you can wire the motors in series where takes more voltage to get it moving the lights be brighter

Chessie1971

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Here is a simpler, no-wire-cut set of instructions without a series/parallel switch:

To increase lamp brightness and gain better low speed control, change motor wiring from (stock) parallel to series.....

1.) Pull the pin with the blue wire from the front (4-pin) motor connector. *

2.) Pull the pin with the yellow wire from the rear (4-pin) motor connector. *

*There is a tiny tab on the back of the pin that will release the pin from its connector if it is depressed with a bent paper clip.

3.) Wrap the two pins together with bare solid wire and cover with electrical tape,

or  slip a 1" chunk of heat shrink tubing over before wrapping with wire. 

Scrap Cat-5 or telephone wire should work well.  (Solid 24 gauge.)

You could make a reflector out of aluminum foil and mount it behind the lamp.

Make sure the lamp is lined up behind the front plastic lens...

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

Wiring the motors in series Voids the warrenty instantly!
Also series wiring has another drawback, if one set of wheels slips it takes all the power and little to no power goes to the other motor. So with wiring in series it is also a very good chance to burn out a motor earlier then normal.

Change out the light bulb to an LED or get a lower power transformer to use with your Willliams if it is too fast.
Another way to control speed is with command control and using track voltage setting.

Personally I never had a Williams that was too fast.

Lee F.

r0gruth

I have never had any wheel slippage with Williams locos.

They all ran too fast for me and all were changed to series wiring.
What was/is too fast to me might be just fine for you.I have NO problem with that.

Warranties were out anyway.
Roger

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

You could change to a #51 bulb (7.5V) and use a transformer with lower starting voltages: 

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13633.0.html

Scroll down to the chart about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.