News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Kadee Couplers/Uncouplers

Started by tigerthelion, August 03, 2012, 05:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerthelion

Let's see... I installed magnetic uncouplers on my layout. The cars/locos will uncouple, however the couplers do not open far enough in the delayed position and as soon as it moves off the uncoupler, the knuckles close and the cars are still coupled. Kinda defeats the purpose... can't spot cars to different tracks. My only option is to uncouple and leave the cars where they are. Even the instructions that came with it has diagrams illustrating how it works, but to no avail. Any tips or ideas as to how to resolve this problem? Thanks and happy Friday!

rogertra

After uncoupling, did you make the required un-prototypical little back up move with the locomotive to enable the uncoupled knuckles to engage in the open position?

tigerthelion

Yes... but they don't open far enough  :( as soon as the knuckles move away from the magnet, they snap back into default position and train is still connected :( I have a few things to try in the morning and I will keep you posted! Thanks!

jward

to get the delayed uncoupling, you need to take slack, then pull forward far enough for the couplers to disengage completely. the magnet should pull the entire coupler head to one side.with the couplers pulled to the side, you then back the cars into position.

if the couplers won't pull to the side, you may have to lubricate them witj graphite.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

railtwister

Are you using Kadee brand couplers and uncouplers, Bachmann's EZ-Mate knockoffs, some other brand, or a mix? Are your couplers set at the proper height according to Kadee height gauges #205 or #206? Also, are you using under-the-rail or between-the-rails uncouplers, and are they mounted at the prescribed height as well? If you are using between the rails uncouplers, you need to be sure they are the wider, "delayed" type rather than the original non-delayed versions Kadee still sells both kinds). Also, if you are using steel railed track, like the Bachmann track with the black roadbed, that may have a detrimental effect on the magnetic field.

Bill in FtL 

tigerthelion

I would like to thank you all for your input. It turns out the uncouplers were too low between the rails; the drop pins weren't activated enough to properly open. I only have three of them so it was a quick fix and it did the trick. Now, to replace the crappy couplers with Kadee's  ;) Thanks again, everyone!

jward

just for future reference, kadee sells an uncoupler gluing jig at modest cost. i believe it is part 321, and costs about 3 or 4 dollars. it is a metal plate milled out to fit over the rails and hold the magnet in position while the glue sets. it will ensure the proper height.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Bob_B

Reviving this thread to ask one question.

Do Kadee uncouplers suit E-Z track?
If so what type?
The Bachmann HO 78999 Magnet is hard to come by so looking for an alternative.

Doneldon

Quote from: Bob_B on June 15, 2013, 10:32:09 PM
Do Kadee uncouplers suit E-Z track?

Bob-

Yes. Kadee uncouplers will work just fine with EZ Track. You can use the #312 between the rails non-delayed magnet or the #321 delayed action uncoupler with EZ Track. I urge you to use the uncoupler for delayed action and delayed Kadee couplers. I think you'll be very pleased. Be aware that Kadees will work well with all brands of knuckle couplers but the best and most reliable performance comes from using only one brand of coupler.
                                         -- D

Bob_B

Thanks, I'll try a #321 with a #334 jig and see how it goes.