News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Now for something not totally different

Started by Bill Miller, June 16, 2013, 02:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Miller

I have noticed a slow down in new announcements for new HO product from not only Bachmann but most of the other suppliers on HO scale equipment. I know the Atlanta NMRA convention is coming up soon and we may see some new announcements, but I wonder how much the poor economy has effected new product development

Maybe it is time to revisit some of the old favorites in new road names and road numbers. I would like to see a reissue of the GE 70 Tonners in road names like Rutland , original Norfolk Southern , Washington & Old Dominion, Live Oak Perry and Gulf, Meadow River Lumber Company just to name a few.  I am sure others can add to this list.

Bachmann did do a special run of Baltimore and Annapolis GE 70 tonner #50 so why not other short line and small class 1;s who owned them. Maybe follow up with a run of ALCO RS-3's in short line paint? Ideas any one?

Bill

Doneldon

Bill-

Bachmann makes new product announcements at the NMRA annual meeting
They do announce when items arrive and are available for purchase, but such
items have already been announced at previous NMRA meetings.
                                                                                                  -- D

cowman

This tends to be the slow time of year, as many of us turn to outdoor activities.  That is except for those with cool basement or air conditioned layout rooms.

Have fun,

Richard

CNE Runner

After 'cruising' eBay for many years I have noticed that small branchline-decorated items sell fast and at a good price (for the seller). It would seem that more inclusion of smaller railroads would definitely sell more product. There are literally hundreds of small branchlines that exist (or have existed) in the U.S...the potential is limitless.

Yes, our hobby always seems to go on hiatus when the summer weather arrives. Other, warmer weather, pursuits 'steal' our available free time it seems. Anyone with a basement is blessed as we don't usually have such a place in the South. Attics, unless they are insulated and airconditioned are unusable...rendering our modeling to a spare room (we converted our largely unused guest room to a train room...my wife is a saint).

As a past flight instructor, I used to teach the old FAA adage: "Familiarity breeds contempt." I think the same can be said for our hobby. It seems entirely possible that we need a 'vacation' from model railroading. This serves two purposes: 1) we seem to appreciate the hobby more after a short respite, and 2) to do otherwise makes us a 'one trick pony'.

Just my opinion,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Doneldon

Quote from: CNE Runner on June 17, 2013, 10:21:43 AM
After 'cruising' eBay for many years I have noticed that small branchline-decorated items sell fast and at a good price (for the seller). It would seem that more inclusion of smaller railroads would definitely sell more product. There are literally hundreds of small branchlines that exist (or have existed) in the U.S...the potential is limitless.

Ray-

True, but eBay sellers only have to make a handful of sales of their "rare" roadnames. Manufacturers have to sell thousands to make the money which keeps them in business and us in well-equipped model railroads. I think the high quality of current unlettered rolling stock, much of it with data already printed on, is the way to go for obscure or at least not so huge roadnames.

What's missing is the ready availability of decals or dry transfers to turn those blank box cars and other equipment into the CJ&E, the BC&M, the MON, the CCT, the LSI, the TPW, the WA, the OPE, the CW, the GC or the pick-your-own-favorite-railroad-which-isn't-the NYC, PRR, UP or AT&SF. There must be at least a thousand defunct or small railroads which will rarely, if ever, have RTR or even kits lettered for their rolling stock. Where is Champ Decals now that we really need them?
                                                                                                        -- D

JNXT 7707

[/quote]
Where is Champ Decals now that we really need them?
                                                                                                        -- D

[/quote]

Amen to that. Definitely a vacuum waiting to be filled there. Seems like all the decals I look for at Microscale are either out of stock or discontinued.
Jerry

Modeling the JNXT RR from its headquarters in Buzzardly, Texas.
Future home of the National C-Liner Museum.

CNE Runner

Now if I were 'well heeled' and could afford an Alps printer (which is the only one that can print white images), I could make my own decals easily (then again, if I were 'well heeled' I could afford to have someone else make those decals for me). On the other hand having 'home car' decals made isn't all that expensive and is 'doable' for most of us.

The alarming problem lies in the demise of so many kit manufacturers. Remember: Athearn, MDC/Roundhouse, Branchline, et.al.? The only standing member of this group is Accurail. Believe it or not, there are still many modelers who prefer to assemble their own rolling stock...'sorta gives us 'ownership' of the process. Will Accurail fall into the 'RTR pit' and eventually discontinue their excellent line of kits?

We are engaged in a hobby...not a vocation (or at least most of us are...). A hobby, according to many definitions, is supposed to be a relaxing - yet productive way of using our 'free' time. Have we become a society that can only find relaxation in instant gratification? Never built a kit? Try it! You may 'screw up' your first attempt; but that will only put you out ~ $20...and leave you with a higher skill level than you had before. [We Southern psychologists call that the "I-won't-do -THAT-again" syndrome...as opposed to the "Honey, hold-my-beer-and-watch-THIS" debacle.]  Each attempt will get better - trust me. If you eventually find Accurail kits too easy, there are other manufacturers that can push your skill level further (La Belle comes to mind).

Occasionally there are cars that you just have to have and can't find a compareable kit. Additionally, steam locomotive kits are not for the 'faint-at-heart' ('remember the Varney kits of yore?); that's when the excellent products produced by Bachmann and others come into play. A large part of this hobby is exploration...go out and explore (you might just surprise yourself). I run a mix of RTR and kit-built cars on my Monks Island Railway...all pulled by my trusty Bachmann GE 45-Ton.

Guys, this is just my opinion...based on my personal observations from my own point of view (yours may be different). There are happy modelers(?) who have someone build their museum quality layout upon which they run RTR stock past built-up structures; they're satisfied...so what's the harm? Apparently the interest in kits (cars or otherwise) is dwindling...hence the demise of kit lines and related products. I guess that is called progress.

One final note: If you want some real inspiration try reading a copy (or two) of Railway Modelling/Continental Railway Modelling, the Hornby Magazine[UK publications], Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette or the On30 Annual. As one political hopeful once said; "Only dead fish go with the tide." Why not try swimming against it?

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"