News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

CV What???

Started by Mark FL, June 17, 2013, 03:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark FL

ok all of you seasoned train people out there. Please explain to me how to understand CV values. ( for example CV8 =8)  that is like saying the Molecular structure of a split atom is to the power of 10... SOOOooo Confused. I have a MRC advanced controller and have been told that I can do great things with it. Maybe I need to fine someone in my area to show this simple guy how to figure this out.

Bucksco

A good place to start would be reading a "basics of DCC" book
http://www.kalmbachstore.com/modeltrains-railroading-model-railroading-books-wiring-electronics-series.html

Also you might want to check out MRC's website for information about their DCC system.

Mark FL

Thank you. I have 4 engines ( all Bachmann) and do not want to screw them up.

bapguy

Unless you fry a decoder, you can re set the CV's to factory defaults and start over. I suggest getting a computer interface and using JMRI Decoder Pro. I use a Digitrax PR3 hooked up to my computer and use Decoder Pro to program my decoders. JMRI keeps a log of my loco's and their CV's. If something happens and I have to re set the decoder, I have the list of the values I had in them and just re program them in again.  Joe