A question about HO Shays and grades.

Started by WoundedBear, August 27, 2007, 03:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

This is to The B-Mann or any of you other model railroad experts on here.

What is the maximum recommended grade I can run Bachmann HO Shays on? 2%? 4%? 6%?

Average load on one Shay would be 4 to 6 loaded Rivarossi log cars or a string of 8 to 10 empties, with a bobber 'boose on the tail.

I may be able to improve my layout, or not, depending on the answers here.

Thanks

Sid

SteamGene

WB, I don't have one, but my understanding from talking to a few guys who own one, they climb grades like the prototype.  I think 6% with that consist is doable. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Stephen D. Richards

WB, I agree with Gene.  I have several Bachmann Shays in HO scale and have ridden several of Cass's.  They do pull much the same as the prototypes!  Scale of course!  Stephen

WoundedBear

I'm thinking along the same lines as you guys then.

I'm still interested to hear what B-Mann recommends. In Canada, these Shays are pricey items........I wouldn't want to be "abusing" them.

Sid

Hoople

I don't want to wander off topic- But what about the Climax? I have an infamous 6% to a gravel company, and need something to pull 1-2 hoppers up. I've tried with my consolidation, and it has lots of trouble trying to get up.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

modlerbob

Any loco with very small drivers would probably do the job.
Bob DeWoody

WoundedBear

No problem, Hoople ;)

They are another "gear-driven" loco.....it and the Shay are the only ones Bachmann makes, so we might as well include them in this discussion. I had two Climaxes.....lmao...I know...too much info...lololol....anyhow....one died and was replaced with a Shay.

I usually limit the load on one Climax to half of what I expect a Shay to haul, although, double headed Climaxes not only looked great, they pulled wonderfully. Now the single Climax is relegated to MOW work and moving the camp cars from their nightly berth at the camp, to their daily spot up near the logging area.

While the Climax is there, it may switch out a few empties for loaded cars and perhaps haul a couple loaded cars to the mill. I was advised by service, not to strain the Climax too much....sounds like they've had some trouble with some components.

With that said, all there is to do now is sit and wait for replies.

Mr. B-Mann.....any input here?

Sid

the Bach-man

Dear Bear,
I'd guess the grades on Riley's Run are in the 5% area, and the On30 Shays perk away all day. The HO should do as well. If your grades are too steep you'll have to add a helper.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

WoundedBear

Thank you, Mr B.

I guess my biggest source of confusion now, comes from conflicting statements. I had asked a person ( I have their name) in your service department about this as well.

They advised me that the HO Shays and Climaxes were designed for 2% grades and nothing any steeper, and that is why the crankshaft failed.

Mr B....if you'd rather, we can continue this discussion off the boards. I'm really concerned about the possibility of having to redesign a lot of my grades, and certainly don't want to be hard on these models.

This is not meant to be a bash on Bachmann locomotives........all I'm trying to confirm here, are "recommended practices".

Thanks for the assistance,

Sid

the Bach-man

Dear Bear,
I heard a similar story at the convention. We will look  into it Tuesday. I have had no trouble running locos on the layout, and sometimes they run for ten hours straight. I'll let you know.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

WoundedBear

And I, Sir, appreciate the quick response. I look forward to reading your conclusions.

Sid

BaltoOhioRRfan

I have one of the shays lettered for B&O(before any one says B&O Didnt have shays, your wrong, they had 3) I had it go up a pretty decent grade one day with 2 spectrum passenger cars behind it. If i'ts a sudden grade i can see the drive shaft failing, but if you east into it and off of it say a 2%-4%-6%-4%-2% you should have no problem. Just dont go straight into a 6% grade. that is asking not only for drive shaft problems but uncoupling problems.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

WoundedBear

I knew all about easements...both for curves and grades....before I laid a single piece of track.  ;) Still, it's a good reminder.

Every curve and grade is transitioned. I have absolutely no derailment troubles at all. I'm concerned that the drivelines fail, under load, before the wheels slip.

Sid

the Bach-man

Dear Sid,
Mr Riley is out of town. I'll ask him if/ when he calls.
Have fun!
the Bach-man