A question about HO Shays and grades.

Started by WoundedBear, August 27, 2007, 03:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyg1306

Hi!

I also have two Shays...my layout has been down for a while (over a year...I'm hoping to have it rebuilt in the next few months!), but when I did operate the Shays, they always hauled and handled unbelievably well...much like the prototype.

I have one BIG question:  Did Bachmann discontinue the prototype Cass Scenic Railroad (CSRR) Shay (Steel Cab)?  I live in WV, and CSRR is the reason I even started railroading (I already have one CSRR Bachmann Shay, but was planning to buy another for display), and it would be a shame if it were no longer represented in the model railroading trade (it took long enough as it was...lol!).  If it is discontinued, why just the CSRR and no others (now don't get any bad ideas with that statement...! :'()? 

Another Shay suggestion:  there are multiple "types" of 3 truck shays (CSRR itself has a wide variety), such as Pacific Coast, and just simply different versions of the original (Cass #4 and Meadow River #7, for example...or even WM #6 or WVP&P #12).  Is there any chance that these different variations will be produced by Bachmann any time in the not-too-distant future? 

Also, it would also be a good idea for Bachmann to model the CSRR tourist cars to accompany said Shay...I have scratchbuilt a couple modeled after Cass' first generation with your ACF log cars, but it would be great if a company would mass produce them, even if only for a limited run.  Even if not modeled after Cass, Great Smoky Mountains RR also has a variation on the cars, as do the Georgetown Loop and Durango and Silverton.  I have always wondered why tourist railroading has never been represented in HO, they are what most common people come in contact with when it comes to trains these days...commercial railroads are dwindling! 

Thanks for reading...looking forward to a reply!

;D

Stephen D. Richards

mattyg1306, 
I too live in WV and have always been spell bound by the CSRR Shay's.  Yes, Bachmann stopped modeling the Cass #5!  It's a shame but they rotate what they produce and the #5 will probably surface again sometime.  I had bought one prior to last Christmas and when the new catalog came out, I searched the internet and bought two more!  I have enough Shays now to model all of the ones CSRR has operating except the #2 Pacific Coast.  It is suppossed to be the bigger firebox etc.  I didn't see alot of difference but I may not know what I'm looking at either.  I have been in the hobby for about 18 months so I am still an infant here!  So to speak.  I also have the Climax (that is in pieces now) and the Heisler!  I found the factory decorated Cass Heisler by Rivorossi!     Stephen

mattyg1306

That's a shame they stopped modeling #5...it was the prototype for the Bachmann Shay!  But like you said, maybe it will surface again sometime soon...

There is some difference in the general design between CSRR #5 and #4, etc (although Cass' original Greenbrier and Elk RR #4 was said to be #5's twin sister, along with CSRR #1, which is at the B&O museum).  For one thing, #5 is much older, so there is the basic evolution of machinery over the period of time between #5 being built and #4's construction (like comparing a Ford Mustang from the 1970s to one made in the 2000s.).  The engine pretty much operates the same, so the difference is mainly in the way the cylinders and gear work are designed and appear...a great deal is just cosmetic.  If you look at a picture of Shay #5 next to Shay #4, you might see what I'm talking about...#4 has a more "rounded" look in some places.  Just like looking at human blood...its all red and runs through veins, but its chemistry varies from person to person (A+, A-, O, etc.).

Anyway, you say you have a lot of CSRR equipment...did you build any tourist cars for your layout?

;D

WoundedBear

Just a little nudge up the list.....*bump*...... ;)

Mr. B-mann.....any answers yet?

Sid

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I'll pass along the requests. As with the Climax, any loco can make a comeback, but we can't make every one every year!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

WoundedBear

.............and I'm still wondering if you have spoken with Mr. Riley about the grade issue?

Sid

the Bach-man

Dear Sid,
I spoke to Mr. Rriley, and we are of the same opinion: if the grade is too steep, the loco will need a helper, but it should not hurt the loco.
Have fun!
the Bach-man