News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G Scale Track Layouts w/Steel Track

Started by BobZ, June 19, 2013, 05:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobZ

Where can I find tracks plans (if available) that uses Bachmann G Scale steel track???

Chuck N

Bob:

Are you planning to build your layout indoor or outdoors?  The Bachmann steel track is for indoors only, it will rust if used outside.  If you are going outside use brass, stainless steel, or nickel silver track.

Chuck

BobZ

Chuck N

You're good to go then.  As for track plans, I have found the many public libraries have a model RR section.  Spend some time going through the books.  When you find a plan you like copy it and start laying track.  You will probably have to modify it for the Bachmann sectional track.  I doubt that there are any track plan literature, specifically for Bachmann, out there.  At least I don't know of any.

Chuck

PS where are you located.  There is probably a "G" club somewhere nearby.  Visit with them and see what they do with their track.  You might be able to get some ideas from them.

Loco Bill Canelos

Bob, Where is Joe Satnik when you need him?  Joe is our expert on Bachmann Steel Track.  He has info on how to make custom cuts and other info that is very helpful.  I have personally seen several very nice layouts over the years which use this track but can't remember the specifics.

Here is a site which may give some ideas:

http://alocsin.hubpages.com/hub/Model-Train-Resource-G-Scale-Garden-Track-Plans-To-Inspire-Your-Own-Layout-Designs

You can make paper track templates and move them around to get some ideas as well. 

I am curious as to how much space you have??

Have fun,

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Joe Satnik

Dear Loco Bill,

Thanks for the kind words.

Dear All,

Bachmann G indoor steel track imitates LGB R1 Geometry:

Normal Curve Radius (R1=600mm Radius) =  2X Normal Straight Length (300mm).

Normal Curve "Degrees of Turn" = 30 degrees

( 360 degrees/12 sections per circle = 30 degrees)

Any track plan of any scale or gauge using those proportions and number of degrees is usable,

and can be scaled up or down as needed.

Regular HO track has the same proportions and number of degrees

(18"R-30 deg. curves and 9" straights),

and any layout using those HO pieces can be scaled up.

Scale factor:  Multiply HO track dimensions (including fitters) by 1.31

You may have to modify plans that use more than just normal curves and normal straights,

i.e., you may have to cut fitters.  

More G track discussions:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,14813.0.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit:LGB track radius changed to 600mm, straight length to 300mm,

which corrects a diameter vs. radius error.

Added HO track to G track scale factor of 1.31

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Dear Bob,

The track CAD program AnyRail.com   

has a Bachmann G Steel Track library.

It is a free download for the first 50 track pieces.

It allows you to try your layout before you buy your track pieces.   

You might find the even numbered layouts (for 30 degree track) useful

in the book "Track Plans for Sectional Track" by Linn Westcott.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=westcott+sectional&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=linn+sectional&_sacat=0

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

BobZ

Everyone, thanks for the suggestions. There are several Garden Railway clubs around. I'm in Hamilton, OH, just a few miles from one of the largest indoor G-Scale layouts, EnterTRAINment Junction (I have annual pass for me and ny 4 yr old grandson). I purchased AnyRail about a year ago and have designed several HO and N layouts but then sold all my stuff when I got the bug for G. The main reason for looking at G-Scale was for grandson. He is able to handle it easier and I can get 'cheaper' items for him to play with (battery operated). My area is limited to a max of 30 x 40 but I will start out with about 12-14 x 20-24. Future expansions will be with brass. I can cut an opening in the foundation and head outside. Again, thanks for your help.

Loco Bill Canelos

Have a lot of fun with your grandson, check out the new Bachamnn Lil Big Haulers and Thomas of course.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=255_639_640&products_id=4924
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

grsman

Bob
These Bachmann Lil Big Haulers are very nice trains and a good value for the money.
Tom