Dynamis question on programming a new loco.

Started by Searsport, June 21, 2013, 11:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Hi, I have a Dynamis, and have had no problem programming new locos in the past, but I have just got a couple of new ones and maybe I have forgotten how to do this, but.....

So I have a new P2K fitted with a QSI Quantum.  It is #279, and I am trying to programme it to be #0279 on my service track.  The Dynamis will not accept 0 as the initial digit, and it will not give me the Prog icon if I just put in 279, it requires four digits.  How do I get it to accept #0279?

And I have a new Athearn Genesis GP15 with a Tsunami.  I can programme it to be #118 using "Programme on Mainline", and it jumps when I press Prog, but it does not respond when I select #118. It still responds to #3.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?  Both locos perform perfectly on #3.

TIA,
Bill.

PS - Hey Mr.B, how about a discussion board on DCC?  Your DCC FAQs section is a bit thin, and the General Discussion pool is more like an ocean than a pond.  There may be merits in having all DCC questions in one place.

bapguy

I'm not familiar with the Dynamis, but on the Tsunami decoder, program your address, the remove the loco from the track for 10 seconds or so and replace the loco on the track. This might help it to take your new address. Not sure on the QSI problem. I use Decoder Pro and a computer interface (Digitrax PR3) to program all my decoders. It's a great way to do it.  Joe

Searsport

OK, problems solved.  Both locos programmed.  Issues were:

1. The Dynamis will not accept 0 as an initial digit when inputting a new loco number.  You need to just input 118 or 279 and press prog, and it will do it.  Unfortunately this is not apparent from the Dynamis manual, as the example they use for service track programming is 4468.

2. I think that the other problem was low battery in the handset.  The screen was not showing low battery, but I held the handset much closer to the receiver and this tome I got the Prog track icon whilst I input the first three digits (it had not appeared previously) and when I pressed it I got the message PROGRAMMING on screen, which I had not had before.  It did keep interrupting with the STOP / SHORT message showing, but as I could see no reason for a short I just kept pressing the Stop button to continue programming and it completed.  As the locos ran fine before as #3 and after with their new #s there clearly was no short.

Thanks for your advice, Bapguy.

Bill.