annie pilot truck plastic on axles cracked

Started by petertoot, June 27, 2013, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petertoot

hi guys,iknow this has been raised before,the plastic on the pilot axles have cracked,any ideas,none in stock,cheers peter

Barry BBT

Peter,

Most of the insulators do crack, the solution is quite simple.  Normally, I don't like super glue, but here is a good application, remove one of the axles; put a drop of CA on the stub insert and replace in the cracked insulator, repeat on all  of the rest of the pilot axles.  Give them some time to dry, test each axle, if one is still loose repeat (and repeat) until it is no longer loose.

Not an engineering solution, but it works.  The insulators can be replaced by a white plastic tube from Plastruct, but again the super glue will have to be used.

Barry

There are no dumb questions.

dgtrrco

Peter!! I have had that problem on a few of my engines and cars where needed. what I used was a grey pvc faucet stem pipe. It is a hair smaller than the axle so you have to force the axle in than I use the CA. To this date they have not come apart. Works fine for me on aristo axles and bachmann. Gene

petertoot

hi to all,thanks for the replys,one thing i did find out,and everyone has some,the plastic wheel set will work if you pull them apart,cut off the tube next to the wheel,it will be the same length as the original the only thing is lgb are are touch to tight,may spliti had three locos in one afternoon all fixed now,will keep you infomed,again thanks,peter

Model Tug

My fix is to go to a hardware store and purchase one foot of clear plastic tubing. About 1/4 inch ID. Cut a piece of tube the same length as the plastic axle.
Find a center punch or drift that is slightly larger than the inside of the plastic tube. Shove the drift into the plastic tube. Soak in very hot water about 3 minutes. Remove plastic tube from the water and the drift. Now quickly start slipping the tube over the plastic axle.You will have to push HARD!

The end result is a plastic axle with a outer tubing reinforcement.

I have used the above system to repair the "Risers" that accept the retaining screws for the bottom motor plate in the 4-6-0 engines.

Rod