Thomas the Train on analog power HO track

Started by dkf, June 29, 2013, 06:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkf

Have you had experience using the Thomas Holiday Special train set on a standard HO scale analog powered track? Would appreciate any comments from current users. Thank you.

SodorAdventures

I once owned the set, and it came on analog power. Unless you converted it to DCC after purchase, there should be no issues with running it on analog.
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

jward

most dc powered Bachmann sets come with steel track. this is harder to keep clean, and has more electrical cnntact problems than nickel silver as used in the dcc sets. other than that, track is track, and Thomas should be able to run on any HO track. I use mine on track I built myself from loose rail, code 83 which is slightly smaller than that used in ez track. the only problem I've had is Thomas and percy will stall on switches with unpowered frogs (where the rails cross) because of their short wheelbase. if you can power the frogs on your switches, it will solve this problem.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

shining time

as far as the steel bachmann track to clean it, if you have a dremel and one of the rotary sanding drums, at a speed of one on the tool can clean the dirt right of the track and engines run great on it
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

jward

Quote from: shining time on July 03, 2013, 08:27:56 AM
as far as the steel bachmann track to clean it, if you have a dremel and one of the rotary sanding drums, at a speed of one on the tool can clean the dirt right of the track and engines run great on it

have you considered the hazards of doing this? you can sand dips in the rail which will cause derailments if you are not careful. also, this method creates dust and metal filings which tend to find their way into motors and gearboxes. over time. you could do serious damage  to your trains and track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

SodorAdventures

Yes, I second that. Dremel discs are way too rough. They sell cleaning pads for cheap and they are much safer, and more effective.
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com