News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

couplers and interchangeablity

Started by Broken Arrow, June 30, 2013, 07:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Broken Arrow

I purchased a new in the box a Bachmann GE U 36 B diesel from an estate sale. It has what I would call an open coupler box ( no top) with the hook horn coupler attached by a brass step shoulder screw. I want to convert to the knuckle coupling but have no idea what parts are needed to accomplish this transition and the hole diameters are different between the respective couplers. Also, there is a step cast into the plastic sides of the open coupler box. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Doneldon

Arrow-

You have made a good decision to replace the X2f couplers with knuckle couplers. Most knuckle couplers will work well together
but the best performance comes when using only one manufacturer's couplers. Of the various options, Kadee is the clear leader.
Kadee also offers the broadest array of shapes and sizes to adapt to just about any equipment you might have. Kadee has an excellent web site which includes coupler style selection and installation information.
                                                                                                                                    -- D

WoundedBear

Here's the link for the KD conversion. They are calling for a number 37. Be prepared for some filing and fitting, as the sheet shows.

http://kadee.com/conv/pdf/b14.pdf

Sid

jbrock27

Good luck with your purchase Broken Arrow.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

You mentioned the x2-f was held in place by a screw.  If you decide to do the investment in  a good quality coupler system like Kadee; then make sure that you install these couplers correctly-and that means complete draft gear, boxes, covers, etc-and do check them with a coupler gauge-either the one  from kadee or an NMRA standards gauge; these are available from most good hobby shops.
Rich C.

Broken Arrow

Thank you all for the support, and thank you Sid for the Kadee link. Its been 50 years sence I I participated in model railroading  and things have really changed. I still like my hot rod car hobby. Broken Arrow