Trains in the Lone Ranger Movie

Started by jonathan, July 05, 2013, 07:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: M1FredQ on July 17, 2013, 06:10:02 PM
It is supposed to come to our "Drive In" here in town that would be fun!!!!!

Seriously? They still have a drive-in where you live?  :o Cool! The train sequences would be awesome on a big drive-in screen.

Woody Elmore

The Lone Ranger and Roy Rogers TV shows kept alive the notion (from the earlier movies) that good guys wore white hats and the bad guys wore black ones. I don't know where wearing a bird fits in.

M1FredQ

Johnson Bar not only do we still have a "Drive In" but the owner put up a new screen last Summer!!!!!!!

People get there early tail gate dinner or snacks. Kids get into their P.J.'s

put up some mosquito netting, air-mattresses go up on the roofs of the SUV's and we all have a great time. It does get crowded sometimes!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the heads up on the film can't wait to see it on the "BIG" screen!!!

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: M1FredQ on July 19, 2013, 09:52:44 AM
Johnson Bar not only do we still have a "Drive In" but the owner put up a new screen last Summer!!!!!!!

People get there early tail gate dinner or snacks. Kids get into their P.J.'s

put up some mosquito netting, air-mattresses go up on the roofs of the SUV's and we all have a great time. It does get crowded sometimes!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the heads up on the film can't wait to see it on the "BIG" screen!!!

Well, it sounds like lots of fun.  :)  I have fond memories of family trips to see movies at the drive-in when I was knee-high to a cowcatcher. In fact there were two (!) drive-ins in the town where I grew up. One was called the Comet, the other the Sky-Vue. Both are long gone, of course.  :(

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Woody Elmore on July 19, 2013, 07:05:12 AM
The Lone Ranger and Roy Rogers TV shows kept alive the notion (from the earlier movies) that good guys wore white hats and the bad guys wore black ones. I don't know where wearing a bird fits in.

Fits in with being a member of the Crow tribe, IIRC.

Doneldon

Quote from: Woody Elmore on July 19, 2013, 07:05:12 AM

Especially when the guy is a good guy but the bird he's wearing is black.

M1FredQ

Finally "The Lone Ranger " came to our Family Video and we checked it out Saturday and saw it everyday till today.

Overall I liked it because in our family we are partial to Johnny Depp BUT the Lone Ranger character isa little lame.

I am familar with Jerry Bruckheimer films. He takes a lot of artistic license and mixes history. I had to tell my kids that event at the meeting of the 2 RR's for the Transcontinental RR didn't happen.

Overall as everyone above advised the TV Series was well done and great TV.

Taken by itself this L.R. is OK. TRain scenes were great.

It is set up for a sequel and I hope they do one.

the whole family liked it and my kids range from 18 to Joey 10.

Just hope Lone Ranger character gets some more grit in his personality

utdave

from Utah    the golden spike is going to have a steam festival here in a week or 2 .   those locos that were in that movie  are going to be blowing off some steam in our winter climate .       location is golden spike park .  which is a few miles away from where the golden spike was driven at promontory which is at the north end of the great salt lake .   and the winter crows will be hanging around also.    Dave

M1FredQ

Wish we could go.

Is there an airport nearby if we come out to see the park and mu seam??

M1FredQ

Was talking to some friends who are into film and they did say Jerry Bruckheimer will do sequels and he is considering another Lone Ranger its just that Johhny Depp is getting booked up and may not be available for awhile.!!!!

utdave

FRED Salt lake city Utah   1 1/2 hr drive from there north.   if you ever do go   Ogden has a train museum plus a browning arms and a old car .   Ogden has the steam 833 4-8-4  just like the 844 with out the outer skins (removed asbestos) and a rare turbine i think loco 26 called the bird cooker,  and allot of history of the union pacific  and lots of other train stuff .  Ogden was a main station from ohmaha to Sacramento  like the big boy 4-8-8-4 and those unusual big locos of gas and diesel

web pages      http://theunionstation.org/index.php/museums-2/

and a great airforce museums

web page        http://www.hill.af.mil/library/museum/

Dave

M1FredQ

thanks for all the info that can be a stop in our travel plans in the future. for spring break i will head out to lake Tahoe and make our way to California and down the Pacific Coast Highway.there a couple of train museums along the way. I have always wanted to get to the site of the meeting of the TCA(Trans continental railroad)   As for the Lone Ranger Movie, Micheal  Medved on his radio program had Jeffery Lyons as his guest.He is a nationally syndicated movie critic, he and Michael Medved used to be on a program together called ""Sneak Previews"".

They were discussing the lone Ranger movie and Jeffery went ballistic !! He gave it a worst movie of the year. He stated all the reasons folks above have stated on the Forum. He said The Lone Ranger was his favorite childhood TV show and was upset Jerry Bruckheimer ""butchered"" the characters. He was upset the Tonto character was like a humorous side kick and the events were mostly all taken out of the wrong periods of time.

I tried to call in because as out sorts as the movie was I am secretly hoping they go through with the sequel.

With all this heavy snow and frigid cold I went to Family Video and we rented some of the episodes of the real Lone Ranger and the kids were "into" it!! and liked it!! Just like when my wife bought me the set of Twilight Zone collection, my kids and their friends love playing those episodes!!!

Anyway as for train related movies one of the folks on this forum sent me a link to a really good Russian film about a Veteran Russian soldier suffering from PTWS(Post Traumatic War Syndrome) is sent to Siberia. he meets a German woman held in captive they "fire" up an old Steamer they find on an island and attempt to make their way to Mongolia. It's a REALLY good film train action you will be impressed with, and typical Russians they used real locomotives!!! The main character is a good actor and believeable. Only drawback is you will have to watch it with subtitles as it is not English dubbed.

It's on U-Tube. Enjoy and hope some folks comment on it

ebtnut

FWIW, one of the mock-up locos from the movie is/was in Fillmore, CA as of this past summer.  It was kind of buried down in the Fillmore and Western's yard, but you could get to it.  The F&W has several movie credits itself, including a recent NCIS/LA episode.  They have a nice 2-8-0 that should be in steam this year, assuming the county, which owns the track, doesn't throw them off and abandon the whole line. 

Doneldon

Fred-

Perhaps I misunderstood your itinerary but the meeting point for the TCRR is at Promontory Point, UT, not California. Be sure to check out Travel Town in Griffith Park in Los Angeles. They have a well done railroad collection.
                                                                                                                           -- D

mabloodhound

Fred, If you're going to Lake Tahoe, drive down to Carson City and see the Nevada Train museum there (I think that's the name).   You are also close to Virginia City too which has a train ride.
And then DEFINITELY stop at the California train museum in old Sacramento,,,a must see.   If you have time on the drive from Tahoe to Sacramento, stop at Coloma, CA, site of Sutters Mill and the first gold discovery...you drive right by the road to it from Placerville.
That is a great area to visit....even the old Bonanza town and film set is at Lake Tahoe.   And much, much more
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security