I need to replace the gearbox on my 4-6-0.

Started by cchandyman, July 06, 2013, 06:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cchandyman

dgtrrco

HI. I beleive the gear box  and motor are available on the Bachmann parts site. Its an easy replacement.  Gene

cchandyman

Thank you.  I have them ordered and attempting to dismantle. I  am having trouble getting the wheels off the axle.

Dave

Its cheaper and easier to purchase a complete new Chassis. Bachmann have them for as cheap as $30 and you will be getting a completely new motor, gearbox, wheels, in fact the whole shootin box.
             Dave
             New Zealand

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

cchandyman

Thanks all.  The chassis replacement is a great idea. 

lucy 1

Bill,
How do I know which chassis to buy,as I only have the 4-6-0
engine.

Thank you, Lucy 1

Loco Bill Canelos

Lucy, 

The one to buy is based on the locomotive model you have, if you can tell me what set it came from or the RR name and number on your locomotive, I will be glad to try to help you find the correct one.   Please let me know.

If you know the Bachmann number for the locomotive or set your locomotive came from you can go to the parts tab and scroll down to the section with all the chassis.  For example say your locomotive is from set 90025 Silverton Flyer.   Look thru the $30 chassis listings till you find one with the same product number, like the link below.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_148&products_id=4095&zenid=c04i7qno3290db3fbfehrgseq5

Looking at the listing you will see that the chassis is for 90025, 90032 witch is the Bumble Bee set locomotive, 90057 witch is the Durango and Silverton freight set. It will also work for the 90058 set loco.

Hopefully this will give viewers an idea about how Bachmann has listed the chassis.  The $30 dollar chassis are for the Big Hauler and the $50 chassis are for the Anniversary 4-6-0.

Bill

veetwelve

If it's the $30 chassis (non-Anniversary) you're after, it appears that Bachmann is out of stock on all but four versions.  Glad I ordered mine a few months ago; they seem to be going quickly!

Jay

lucy 1

Bill,
Sorry I did not respond ,as i am having trouble with the web
site and the board is not responding to my questions.
Any way, i have a blue comet passenger set Eng. #833 its
a 4-6-0 I hope this helps.
Thank you, Lucy 1

Loco Bill Canelos

Lucy,

Your Blue comet Loco is from Set 90028.  Unfortunately and exact replacement is not available.  Your locomotive has the blue painted wheels and other parts, and none of the chassis have the correct colors.

The good news is that the chassis noted below will fit you engine just fine:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_148&products_id=4086

The price is definitely cheap, and the new chassis would be very greatly improved over the broken one you have now.

If the correct colors don't bother you then you can order the one above with confidence it will fit.  You could always try to find some matching paint and paint the wheels and other parts.

Hope this helps.

Bill

lucy 1

Bill,
Thank you, i contacted Bachmann and they are checking
to see if they have the chassis and will call me back.
Lucy 1