Curved track for Spectrum 1:20, 2-6-0 Mogul

Started by stuckerw, January 08, 2014, 02:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuckerw

I purchased this locomotive but now notice it needs a 8 ft or better turning circle. Bachmann does not appear to offer track with that radius.

Question one:  Where do I find curved track that has that circle (or radius)size?

Question two: Can the turning radius be any smaller that 8 ft circle? 

Question three: can the locomotive be modified to accommodate a smaller radius?

Thanks

Bill

Chuck N

What kind of track are you using: Bachmann tubular steel, brass sectional, other?

Most large scale dealers sell brass sectional track in many different diameters.  They will not mate easily with Bachmann tubular steel track.  Check ads in the latest Garden Railways magazine for track.

If the directions say 8' that is the limiting factor.  Do you mean radius or diameter?  I'd be surprised if that engine has a 16' minimum diameter.

I doubt the engine can easily be modified without doing significant damage.

Chuck

grsman

Bill
Bachmann sells brass track in 8 foot diameter.
Should be available at all authorized Bachmann dealers.
Here is a link to Bachmann online.
http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=255_467_646&products_id=4976
It is much less expensive at dealers.
Tom

stuckerw

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I did find the brass track on the Bachmann website. I have since found out that a 5 ft diameter will work.

I also found a work around. The locomotive has two guide pins inside the center axle presumably to keep the center wheels engaged as it rounds turns. I remove these two guide pins and the locomotive now works fine on regular Bachmann curve track.  The center wheels do run on the edge of the track on curves but there is enough engagement from the other two wheels to keep it moving. Not the best arrangement but it works well. Much better and cheaper than the alternatives.

Once again thanks for your information.

Bill

Chuck N

Glad you got the engine to work.  However, for the long term health of your locomotive it is better to use curves that are greater than the minimum value recommended.  There will more wear on the motor, gears, wheels, and track with tighter curves.  Your engine will not last as long running on minimal curved track.

Those of us who have been in the hobby for a long time always recommend the use of the largest diameter that will fit the space available.

A friend of mine runs a small 2 axle LGB loco all day every day on 4' diameter brass track.  Every few years he has to replace his curved track because the wheels on the engine have ground away the inside of the top of the rail. 

Chuck