News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Scale Hudson

Started by wmwalker, July 14, 2013, 09:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmwalker

Thanks 671 for the update. I am glad to here that 8 amp is ok and I guess i could have put it in the tender just did not think about at the time. Taking the engine apart was a little job in its self. I use heat shrink myself alot great stuff. I will put the slide switch in tonight because I like the idea of being able to turn off the unit. I will have to take the engine apart again but at lease now I know what to watch out for. ;D Also while I  am in there I can change out the foam tape as Joe suggested. Thanks for all the help.
Thanks
Wyatt

Hi wmwalker,

A quick tip on the smoker switch.

1.    Solder the wires to the switch first.
2.    Shrink wrap those solder points.
3.    Twist the two wires together to form a braid.
4.    Cut smoke unit's one wire.
5.    Wire in the switch wires to the smoker wires ( cut switch wires to correct length)
6.    Epoxy switch in place (5 minute epoxy) avoid glue into switch mechanism use a
             tiny amount of epoxy, one dot is plenty. Clamp in place until dry.
7.    Hot glue the braided pair of wires to upper interior of boiler.
8.    Reassemble Have Fun

wmwalker

Thanks 671. Good info and will do. Just remembered I have train club meeting tonight so I will do the mod tomorrow evening after work.
Thanks
Wyatt

TrainmanGene

I have 2 of the older Williams NYC Scale Hudsons #5205 @ 5207 and run them double headed (they used to include a coupler pilot for double heading) and use them to pull a 14 car string of Lionel NYC Milk Cars. The Scale Hudson are excellent for the price
Sueme Valley System

wmwalker,

How did the smoke shut-off switch work out for you?

wmwalker

To be honest i have not done anything yet because i had to help Club members with the NMRA convention tours and our club layout ran into some issues which I am still working thru it. I am on the electrical crew and we have a ZW issue anyway, I will hopefully get to it shorty. Thanks for asking about my progress.
Thanks
Wyatt

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: TrainmanGene on July 18, 2013, 07:09:30 PM
I have 2 of the older Williams NYC Scale Hudsons #5205 @ 5207 and run them double headed (they used to include a coupler pilot for double heading) and use them to pull a 14 car string of Lionel NYC Milk Cars. The Scale Hudson are excellent for the price
Moo-vin 14 automatic milk cars?!?!"NICE!!" ;D. No wonder you double head them! I bet the milk cans alone weigh as much as a regular box car or two. Whats her nickname? Heavy cream? :D

wmwalker

Update on my Hudson. I did some checking on my bridge rectifier mod. It was getting very hot like Joe said also the smoke switch option that 671 has I decided not to do in fact I took out the bridge and started running the Hudson with my ZW-C with chopped sine wave which gives me a slow enough start speed and smokes great without and mod's. I really like the smoke and for now I am not putting in the switch mod but maybe later down the road. I have the unit back as it came out of the box new and with the chopped sine wave it runs and smokes great for me. Thanks to everyone for the great mods and information you have given me. It is well documented for future use.

My power setup. I can switch between Z4K or ZW-C.
Thanks
Wyatt

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: 671 on July 18, 2013, 01:59:46 PM

7.    Hot glue the braided pair of wires to upper interior of boiler.

I used hot glue on a loco once. It remelted from the motor heat near it. Same near the bulbs. I use silicone or flexible household clear epoxy now. The radio shack epoxy is very similar, flexible, cuttable, and sometimes pealable.

Walker- a heat sink can work wonders "speading" the heat on rectifiers, Ive added them to quit a few cabnet style video games to avoid elbow burns. Those can get hot enough to blister you sometimes. Away from wires, plastic, or hot glue  ::) it really shouldn't be an issue.   

Hi wmwalker,

671 here. Just a 'Heads Up'. If you are looking for a new Iron Pony, check out Trainland/Trainworld. They have three WbyB Scale Hudsons on sale, super pricing!

1.  Great Northern  @ $299.99

2.  Canadian Pacific @ $299.99

3.  Jersey Central    @ $329.99

How is that Santa Fe Hudson doing? Hope all is well.

Here is a quote from Dr. Frankenstein's Monster when he was in the blind man's house................................................" Smoke Good! "

Happy Halloween...671

wmwalker

Yes I saw that sale and I am looking at the Great Northern because I can make it into a Southern really easy. The price is outstanding. :o My Santa Fe is running great I really like it and who knows I might get a few more Iron Horses  ;D
Thanks
Wyatt