News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Two rerailers?

Started by Curtishelde, July 11, 2013, 10:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curtishelde

Hello there I Am new to the model railroad hobby and I was wondering if you could hook up to terminal retailers for an end scale I recurrently have a 5 x 5 layout and I've been losing power on the other side of the track of where the other three really would go I ordered a new retailer and was wondering how can I get to derailers on one accessory pack up for the controller knob or if I would have to get a good not a controller knob please help thanks

Piyer

If you are losing power, have you tried cleaning the rails and the locomotive's wheels?
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

skipgear

Quote from: Curtishelde on July 11, 2013, 10:48:55 PM
Hello there I Am new to the model railroad hobby and I was wondering if you could hook up to terminal retailers for an end scale I recurrently have a 5 x 5 layout and I've been losing power on the other side of the track of where the other three really would go I ordered a new retailer and was wondering how can I get to derailers on one accessory pack up for the controller knob or if I would have to get a good not a controller knob please help thanks

Yes, you can do just that. It is the equivalent of adding extra feeders. You will need to splice in your added connection to the original connection and also make sure to maintain proper polarity but it will help your slowdown problems.

To the other reply....wheel cleaning won't fix voltage drop on a long run. Each connection of track one track to another is a point of resistance. On a 5-6' loop, you can drop over a volt under load on the back side of a layout. Feeders are highly suggested at minimum every 3-4 ft of track length. Many people put them much closer together and go every other connection.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950