News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1/20.3 K-27

Started by Ken, August 29, 2007, 06:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Strong

I was thinking along those lines myself. Photo 21 shows the counterweights to be in line, but the wheels slightly askew. The thick axles tell me there's some kind of axle-within-an-axle arrangement that allows them to slide laterally within the frame. (There's no linkage between the axles as illustrated in the web site you linked to.) Pretty cool way of doing things, and avoiding a common compromise that others have made. (And--again--would be unnecessary on the beautiful, graceful, clean inside-frame EBT mikados! 8) )

Later,

K

Charlie Mutschler

Kevin,
Interesting point about the EBT mikes.  I'd never taken the time to look closely at photos, but, by golly, you are correct.  I noted that one way the other manufacturer's On30 K-27 gets around the sharper curves than their On3 version is the use of blind center drivers on the On30version.  Just like most of the older brass H-On3 mikes. 

So which of the three versions of EBT mike are you promoting?  12?  14 - 15?  16 - 18?  You know that these are all well loved ladies, and there are partisans for each group.  Think carefully, and enlighten us with your answer.   ;) 

Charlie Mutschler
-30-

Steve Stockham

Geez guys! I mean c'mon! ::) The pictures of the K-27 haven't even been posted in the Gallery for 48 hours and we're already supposed to be clamouring for the EBT Mikado?!! I know you guys have been patiently waiting your turn in line but how about we savor the moment! If this baby is a Grand Slam Home Run then it will open up an entirely new way of looking at Large Scale (at least from Bachmann's perspective!) If this is indeed the case, then the possibilities boggle the mind! ;D
Bob and Dave,
  You each have valid points but you're not going to convince the other that they are wrong! Why keep up the argument? I have read the entire thread and I know what I agree with. Anything more is just argument for the sake of argument and won't give me anymore information than I already have. I thank you both but can we just agree to disagree?  :-[

bobgrosh

Quote from: Steve Stockham on September 04, 2007, 03:30:02 PM
...we're already supposed to be clamouring for the EBT Mikado?!!

I was wondering the same thing. Jeez.
QuoteBob and Dave,
  I have read the entire thread ... :-[
Wow! You actually read all that!  :o :o :o

As to the pictures. I've studied the really large ones. Click the thumb, then click the big one again and you get a REALLY big one.

The drive mechanics is amazing. Axles are rigid, wheels slide side to side AND tilt. WOW.

As you said, "it will open up an entirely new way of looking at Large Scale."

I never liked the idea of one gear driven axle and side rods transferring power. Doesn't work very well on the Hauler, Not even very smooth on the LGB mogul where two are gear driven. Side rods break when non-geared axles get unexpected loads. However. Look at the Kay, The pictures show even wear on the drivers. The suspension keeps the wheels in firm contact. The axles remain in a straight line so side rods don't have to be slotted or have all sorts of slop in them. I'm going to guess that with the right weight this thing might pull even better than the Shay.

For those of us who run track power, that suspension could provide one of the best electrical pickups out there. Looks like every wheel will be firmly planted on the rails. Does anyone know how the power is gotten off the drivers? I think I see the wipe path on the back side of the drivers. It could be LGB style brushes located directly above the axles. How would that work if the wheels are independently sprung? The more I stare at those big images of the underside, the more excited I get about this loco. Sealed gearbox! Metal details! Independent suspension! DCC ready! Heck! I might forget about an indoor pike for spectrum locos. Let's hope they use UV resistant windows.

I've always liked the way Bachmann locos looked. I've bought several. I was always disappointed with the way they ran or lasted. This Kay looks like Bachmann has finally made a loco that will work for me. Maybe I'll have to sell off a few Forneys to make room for more than one Kay.

Questions: These may have been answered but I can't find them.

Expected delivery date?
Anyone taking preorders?
Any guess on the street price?

japasha

Looking at the photos again, I spotted springs, coil type, on each axle between the wheel and the journal. This indicates a centering device for the outer and inner shafts. It is probably not a Klein-Linder type system but more like an Alco centering devive as used on the SP 4-10-2 and the Daylights on the lead driven axle. Those provided an inch of lateral which is a hell of a lot on a prototype loco. These look to provide about 1/4 inch from center in each direction.

I suspect that no matter how the engineers did it, the K-27 will be a fine running locomotive. I won't need a Barry's Big Trains convesion for this one.

Charlie Mutschler

Steve Stockham sez, "Geez guys! I mean c'mon! :Smiley The pictures of the K-27 haven't even been posted in the Gallery for 48 hours and we're already supposed to be clamouring for the EBT Mikado?!!" 

Not to worry Steve, it's not me clamouring for the EBT mikado, just expressing polite interest.  As I say, I'm cheerfully anticipating - visions of mudhens dance in my head, and so on - I have to decide which road numbers to order first.  I am particularly partial to mudhens - probably has something to do with childhood along the Silverton branch.   :)  I think the new K-27 is going to be a Grande slam.  I spent a lot of time comparing the photos of the test model to the prototype last night,and I am really, really impressed.  Since I have always loved the pair of 1941 'coming and going' photos of an RGS freight on Dallas Divide with 455 on the smoky end, and caboose 0404 carrying the markers, No. 455 might be a good choice.  And, of course, I remember 464 sitting outside the Durango roundhouse, out of service, as a kid.  Decisions, decisions.  I really can't opt for all seven as a start, enjoyable as it would be.  So I have to narrow the choices down a bit.  But I AM anticipating.  Enthusiastically.

Charlie Mutschler
-30-

Kevin Strong

Quote from: Steve Stockham on September 04, 2007, 03:30:02 PM
...we're already supposed to be clamouring for the EBT Mikado?!!

Well, yeah.  ;D 'course, I've never stopped clamouring for it...

Charlie, personally I'd like to see #14 or #15, but that's only because I've got #12 coming from Accucraft. If I had ordered #14 or #15, I'd want Bachmann to do #12. While I'm not a huge fan of the large mikes (16, 17, 18), they're somewhat close to mikes that ran elsewhere and I think they'd have a broad appeal for White Pass and other fans.

Later,

K

leftyfretguy

Kevin and all my EBT brothers,
Is it time we start a poll demanding requesting what locomotive we would like ;D
I know I NEED one in live steam.  15 is my favorite but 12 is less costly (in live steam) so I have to agree with Kevin's decision. 15 and 14 from bachmann followed by 16- 18, then 12.  Then Sandy River & Rangely Lakes 24 - then back to all that Colorodo stuff ;D
Now if they finally call the right lotto numbers tonight I will foot the bill for the start up costs :P ;D
Matt

zubi

Quote from: japasha on September 04, 2007, 06:09:34 PM
Looking at the photos again, I spotted springs, coil type, on each axle between the wheel and the journal. This indicates a centering device for the outer and inner shafts. It is probably not a Klein-Linder type system[...]
Japasha, thanks for the comment, the springs are for centering the drivers, but they do not neccesarily exclude the possibility that the drivers can change the angle. Of course I am not sure that this is possible and actually there is very little space for that between the drivers and the brakes. In any case, this solution looks very much like what has been used on the K-28 by LGB/Aster, although the are no springs there but a long wire connecting all four drivers and centering them. What is extra nice on the K27 is that all equalised axles seem to have the outer tubes which includes also the trailing truck. I do not know if we have a name for this engineering solution and this is why I referred to Klein-Lindner articulation which seems the closed to me in principle (of tubular axles) although different in detail (on all suspension axles) and perhaps greatly simplified (perhaps no angle change possible). Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

glennk28

Well--I'm ordering one--along with a couple of the new tank cars..

BTW--for those with my address--change "tco" to "4fast"--the rest is the same. gj

r.cprmier

For TOC;
Dave;
What would you consider a comfortable radius for the K-27?  I don't give a rats behind about minimum allowed.  I have enough real estate both here and in Maine, top accommodate whatever I want.  Being an AMERICAN, I would like it in feet/inches if you would.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Curmudgeon

Six foot.
Anything less the cab overhang looks dorky.
I have 6'8", and run my 1:22.5 K-27, looks good.
I've run other K-27's here, and know the issues of overhang.
If you can do it, make it 8' minimum radius.

Another thing, by drawbar is 8-1/2" long, or more, pivot to pivot, so the loco will not pinch against the tender.

Bruce Chandler

Has anyone seen these advertised anywhere?  I'm looking to see how much I need to save to meet the street price...
Bruce

paultorrey

Bruce,

The MSRP is $1400.  Usually the retail selling price is anywhere from 45 - 55% of the MSRP.  I for one can't wait for this locomotive.  I'm thinking of getting two.

Thanks,

Paul Torrey

Mark Oles

Bruce,

Don't forget to add sound!!!  +250.  It'd be worth it.