News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1/20.3 K-27

Started by Ken, August 29, 2007, 06:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Strong

Quote from: bobgrosh on September 21, 2007, 11:32:18 AM
...Besides a few dozen Rio Addicts,  who will buy all those?
The same people who have bought a bazillion ten-wheelers, LGB moguls, and any number of other locos that run on rails 45mm apart. If it weren't for me having an Accucraft EBT mike on order, I'd probably get one myself. (No, I wouldn't letter it for the EBT... I have my limits. And Lee, there's no reason to dig that photo out again. Once was traumatizing enough.)

Look at the smaller scales? How many people do their own Colorado-based freelance railroads using models of K-## locos? I would quite imagine we'll see that same thing happen in this scale. Whether you model the D&RGW or not, they're very well-proportioned locos, and are very much what people envision when you talk about narrow gauge railroading. I see a good number of them being bought and lettered for freelance roads. (Just like I see a bunch of EBT mikes being bought for the same reason! ;D)

Later,

K

Charlie Mutschler

Bob writes - "Was there some other RR that used a loco close enough to the K27 that people besides a few Rio Grand fans will buy the Kay?" 

The fifteen prototypes were used by three (3) railroads - six (6) if we include the three tourist railroads that use(d) 463 and 464.  The D&RGW leased several K-27s to the Rio Grande Southern,and eventually sold two of them to the RGS.  Two were also sold to the Nacionales de Mexico.  After being retired, 463 was sold to Gene Autry, and later went to the City of Antonito, which has made her available for use on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic.  After 464 was retired, it was sold to Knotts Berry Farm, used there briefly while their smaller locomotives underwent an overhaul, and is now used on the Huckleberry RR in Flint, Michigan. 

Kevin's pretty well summed it up - the D&RGW and RGS are popular prototypes, this locomotive is appropriate for both, and there is also the large group of narrow gauge free lance modelers, many of whom like the appearance of the mudhens. 

Cheerfully and enthusiastically anticipating!

Charlie Mutschler
-30-

Matthew (OV)

Mine will likely be Slate Creek #46 (and #45 if the post wreck version turns up.)  The Slate Creek, while set in a relatively ambiguous location, has a sea pier, and is therefore about as far from Colorado as one can be, continentally speaking.  Its duties, hauling ore and tourists, will be similar.

Matthew (OV)

paintjockey

I'll buy a k-27. My railroad is an eastern based freelance.

The Lakeville Amboy & Conneaut is not a wealthy line, but it's getting there. Supply and demand has dictated they purchase a loco to run the long route to Conneaut. Old #4 a 2-8-0 has made the run for years, but the freight demand is getting so high it has to make double runs working it nearly 20 hours a day. Obviously this isn't good for the ole goat because down time for maintenance is at a premium. Luckily they have found a used K-27 in good repair. This loco should be able to pull both Conneaut trains in one shot.  They are hoping to have it in service by the first of the year.

That's how my eastern based RR is gonna have a Kay.

bobgrosh

Quote from: Jon D. Miller on September 21, 2007, 11:45:45 AM
There no doubt are those hard-core folks that won't run anything that wasn't used on the railroad they model.

On the other hand, there will probably be a lot of us that could give a fig if the K-27 was railroad specific.

I have the green boiler version, numbered, painted, unlettered on order.  I'll letter it for the CD&StL and run the "hell" out of it.

I could care less about Colorado narrow gauge.  But that sure is a nice locomotive and most folks that see it running here in the East won't have a clue as to the railroad that used these locomotives.

Most people have no idea just how many narrow gauge logging railroads there were.

In Alabama alone, there were over 200 logging railroads. Buying and selling used locos was so common that there were several companies that did just that. Some locos had many owners. Used locos came from all over the US, Mexico and Canada. While there were plenty of shays, Climaxes and Hesliers used in Alabama, Few 2-8-2's were used. One of which, I can find no real information on. It was thought to have come from Mexico, was heavily modified, and lost track of completely. As far as I can tell. there were no pictures. Who is to say It doesn't look a whole lot like a mud-hen.

gbbari

Quote from: bobgrosh on September 22, 2007, 07:12:16 PM

Most people have no idea just how many narrow gauge logging railroads there were.

Bob is right.  There were hundreds of Logging RR's.  Here is a link to a historical list of logging companies & railroads across the U.S.

http://www.loggingrailroads.com/

Some of the listings include the engines used on that railroad - see Notes column at the far right side.

Enjoy!
Al