Acela DCC Equipped loses track traction when pulling cars ( Advice Needed)

Started by Gogosoda, July 15, 2013, 07:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gogosoda

I recently bought the Acela HO with DCC. When the powered engine is running by itself it runs at rated speed. But when I add the cars it crawls until I put my finger on it and push down(walking along side) or when I put a weight on top of it. This is the only way it will run at normal speed.

What I have done so far: Cleaned wheels and cleaned and check track connections.

Any advice?

Doneldon

Gogo-

DCC really likes good electrical continuity, much more than regular DC. This need for good electrical supply is greater with sound because even a momentary power interruption will cause the sound system to restart, not a desirable thing. This is why it's so important to have clean track and wheels, generous track feeders and properly weighted equipment.

If you are certain that your track and wheels are clean, I would add a couple of ounces of weight to your Acela motor car. Old hardware or pennies are good, economical methods of increasing weight. This won't burden your power car but it should enable it to pull the other cars more reliably.

Keep in mind that our models are frequently run awfully fast compared to their prototypes, especially when you consider the lengths of our mainlines. I doubt if a little more weight will appreciably slow your train but don't be concerned if it does seem a little slower. Good luck with your Acela.
                                                                                                         -- D

Gogosoda

Thanks for the advice Doneldon. I'm still new to model railroading and still have a lot to learn.Will try it. Thanks again!

jward

with regards to adding weight, what you should do will be determined by why your locomotive is going slow.

is it because the wheels are turning fast but can't seem to get a grip on the rails? or are the wheels turning slowly but the motor does not seem to have the guts to pull the train. are you having problems on level track? or do you have trouble pulling uphill? does the locomotive make any funny noises when trying to pull cars that it doesn't when running by itself?

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

While I am an advocate for adding weight to locomotives, you may have a tough time finding space to add weight.  It's been a while since I've disassembled my Acela loco.  As I recall, the only dead space available is in the nose.

Also, this locomotive is one of the heaviest (weight to length) that I own.  I have pulled a full length passenger consist with no problem.  I have no grades to speak of (24" radius curves).

Be prepared... this locomotive is a bit difficult to open.  If you decide to open her up to look for places to add weight, check back here first.  There are some past posts, using the search tool, that will help you with that.

As jward has mentioned, check your curves and grades.  Are the loco wheels slipping?  The passenger cars should be pretty free-wheeling, even with the light wipers.  Are the cars dragging?  I found I had to adjust the #1 business car to get it rolling well.

Regards,

Jonathan

Gogosoda

Yeah I noticed the farther it gets on the track away from the power source the slower it goes. My layout is all flat on a table. And when i throttle up with the engine car only it takes off but with cars attached it Seems like the wheels are spinning and revving up but even at full throttle it starts slow but doesn't pick up speed until it gets close to the power source. Just noticed that today.

Gogosoda

Yeah Jonathan after reading your post I think it must be the track. Great post! Will do a thorough track inspection. Yeah I opened her up and there is little to no room for weight. Thanks for the advice much appreciated everyone!

jward

you seem to have two separate issues going on here.

first, losing voltage the farther from the power source you get is a sign that you need additional power feeders. adding at lest one more terminal track, as far (by rail) away from the original connection as possible will minimize voltage loss through the rails.

the second issue deals with your wheel slippage. this should not happen on level track, with only one or two cars. most locomotives the size of your Acela unit should be able to pull about 15-20 or more cars. have you tried to clean your track with some sort of oil, like hair clipper oil? do the wheels roll freely on your cars? those are two possible problems which would affect pulling power.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Gogosoda

Thanks Jward

Yeah it's weird it didn't do this when I first got it a couple of weeks ago. It pulled 2 cars plus the dummy engine with no issue. I had to pull the tracks up to continue work on my layout and then put them back in place and things haven't been the same since.

The wheels on the train cars seem to have no issues but the engine wheels spin in place until it gets up to max throttle when the cars are attached. With no cars attached the engine takes off with no issues.

Very strange

richg

Since all the wheels on the loco spin, that would tell me the loco is driving all the wheels and the cars are the issue.
I did a Google search for HO rolling stock test track and below is one link from this search.
I made one years ago it it was a help.

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/46463.aspx

Rich