Bachmann On30 Product Announcement at NMRA 2013

Started by max (uk), July 19, 2013, 10:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

max (uk)

QuoteWHITCOMB 50-TON CENTER-CAB DIESEL

(SOUND READY; BACHMANN ITEM NO. 44955 NEEDED FOR SOUND-ON-BOARD PERFORMANCE)

Suggested price: $425.00 each

SHIPPING OCTOBER 2013

Bachmann is excited to introduce the 50-Ton Center-Cab Whitcomb On30 diesel locomotive. It is being offered in a DCC-equipped model ready for the addition of 16-bit Tsunami® plug-and-play prototypical sound. (Separate-sale Item No. 44955, Whitcomb Plug-and-Play Sound Module, required for sound-on-board performance.)

Item No. 29201 MIDWEST QUARRY (silver & black)
Item No. 29202 PAINTED, UNLETTERED - ORANGE and CREAM
Item No. 29203 PAINTED, UNLETTERED - YELLOW with BLACK STRIPES
Item No. 29204 PAINTED, UNLETTERED - RED with YELLOW

WHITCOMB PLUG-AND-PLAY SOUND MODULE
Item No. 44955 • $125.00
SHIPPING OCTOBER 2013

It's still not the 2-6-2 I was hoping for, but it's a pretty cool locomotive.

The rest of the Bachmann Product Announcements at NMRA 2013 can be found here: http://www.bachmanntrains.net/Catalogs/2013/NMRA_2013.pdf

maxxi

Anubis

It's a bit too expensive to use as a kitbash... :'(
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

Hamish K

Looks nice - if you want a diesel. 

Still no excursion cars.

At least Bachmann is continuing to introduce new products in On30, even if there is nothing I want.

Hamish

Skarloey Railway

I was looking at the Porter 0-6-0 in HO and wondering what Backwoods Miniatures might do with it. Depends on wheelbase and wheel size and how much that differs from the On30 mogul and the HO switcher they've already used under On30 body kits, but first impression is the new Porter has an older look to the wheels and motion than the switcher and smaller wheels and wheelbase than the mogul. An 0-6-0 or 2-6-0 1880s Porter would be very nice  :P

ksivils

Skarloey,

Backwoods has converted HO scale 0-6-0s. Look under R-T-R or scroll way down the On3/On30 product listing page. You will see three different locomotives!

NotHarryPotter

Guys,

I welcome this addition to the On30 range  :) ... my attempts to kitbash HO diesels to On30 never looked "quite right". The loco is a nice beefy industrial addition to the On30 range. It will look great with the industrial layouts I prefer.  The 50-tonner is similar to ones used by the Louisville Cement Company, and Eastern Sugar Associates in Puerto Rico. I can see a wide range of applications for this model. Porter, Vulcan and Davenport made similar locos used in steel mills, Navy yards, and no doubt in lumber operations. From the catalog pictures I found, you have done an excellent job of capturing the hood and grille feattures.

Thanks Bachmann, I think your new offering will be very welcome,

Geoff

JerryB

Great offering!

Good price point!

Also, I'm certain the aftermarket providers will have a field day with this.

Happy 0n30 RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Skarloey Railway

Quote from: ksivils on July 19, 2013, 07:15:15 PM
Skarloey,

Backwoods has converted HO scale 0-6-0s. Look under R-T-R or scroll way down the On3/On30 product listing page. You will see three different locomotives!

I know them: they're based on the Bachmann switcher but they're relatively modern looking machines, post 1910 ish at least. The chassis on the new Bachmann Porter looks to be earlier and possibly smaller which would suit an earlier and smaller prototype. A lot depends on what's hiding under that HO body but this is the sort of early loco I'd like to see as a conversion http://4largescale.com/fletch/d0f.htm

aussie geoff

Hello Mr Bachmann

Love the new addition of a Larger Diesel  ;D . Has any body got any more photos of the model ? and any Idea of the Loco,s dimensions ?

Happy Modelling

Geoff

CNE Runner

What an incredible model...'makes me wonder why I am starting a kitbashing project using a Bachmann GE 44-Ton and a BVM kit. Well...one reason is the price I guess. After spending ~ $525 (MSRP) on a locomotive (Whitcombe + sound module), I would be beside myself if there were gear problems.

Would I like to own one of these jewels?..you betcha! The problem I have is a decision to leave HO for On30. After some 50+ years in the hobby, I have amassed an extensive collection of HO items. [As a vendor at train shows, I know how little HO items bring from the public.] Secondly, I don't think I have the space to do an On30 layout justice. [My current layout is ~ 10' x 15"...with little room for expansion.]

My On30 collection is limited (currently) to a couple BVM models, one Bachmann boxcar, and the Bachmann gas mechanical locomotive. The plan is to add several more BVM kits...all of which would look great being moved by the new Whitcombe 50-Tonner. Ah decisions, decisions...

I think if I had to do it again, I would have made the Monks Island Railway with larger clearances (it is a minimal HO shelf layout as was mentioned above) - such that, with a change in structures, I could run some On30 'stuff'. As always: "A day late and a dollar short." Then again, I may have 'plunged' into unknown territory and gone UK and OO (damn you Railway Modeller).

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Royce Wilson

CNE runner,I live in Peachtree City,Georgia and the local book store has more British railway model magazines than American and yes they do sell because they re stock.I sure would love to meet some of these folks as a British narrow gauge seems intresting.

Royce

2foot6

Please let me ask a couple a of silly questions about the Whitcomb,I guess they were built by Whitcomb,but in what state and when did they start building these units?Were they used  on numerous logging railroads? or were they too late in the scheme of logging and was there  variations of the units?  thank you  Peter

mabloodhound

Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security