News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann bobber caboose on trucks ?

Started by Shadok, August 04, 2013, 10:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadok

Hello !
Did anyone put a Bachmann bobber caboose on trucks ?
I use R1 diameter curves and all my Bachmann freightcars are equipped with trucks.
They run better than a 4 wheels car.
That the reason why I'm planning to make it 'cause I like my little bobber.
Many thanks for your answers, advices and help.
I'm the best for the worst !

Wade Colyer

Hi:

It's not real hard to do. First remove the floor and remove the metal brackets that holds the wheel sets. Then trim the sides and ends of the underframe so the trucks can turn and trim the loops from two hook & loop couplers and install as per the pictures to mount the trucks.

Wade

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Shadok

Great work !
But I have chosen another solution.
The photos are talking better than words !
I'm the best for the worst !

Loco Bill Canelos

That solution works too!

I chose to use an 8 wheel caboose and cut and paste the parts into a shortie caboose on my Cuivre River  Lumber Company. 

I am writing a how to do it article and I retained the interior as well! 

Nice to have something different!!  Just keep having fun ;D

GG1onFordsDTandI

Very interesting Shadock. Did you test it? Does it track OK?  I would think 2 wheel trucks would need castor to remain straight on the straight track.

Loco Bill Canelos

Shadok,
I just realized that  I do not understand the photos.  If the top picture is the finished item, it does not appear you have added trucks like Wade's and reused the original axles.  If so what keeps them aligned with the track, and prevents them from turning on straight track? 

Bill

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: Red26 on August 06, 2013, 02:45:51 PM
Check out the post here; [http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/afv/topic/aff/8/aft/115539/Default.aspx]

This shows the suspension mod but doesn't show how Shadok's wheels will stay straight or turn as necessary. If the coupler was connected to the truck vs the body it might work. The couplers pulling each other would guide them. But even then, what about the very last truck on the train? Bill sees what I do, wheel sets that will likely turn but not straighten out again. Caster angle would have to be worked in and even then reversing could be an issue. I think all four wheel cars were fixed axel. .....Or a rod or cable, connecting the left front to the right rear might work for the last car on couplers connected to the trucks idea.