News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Outdoor train layout

Started by Garsas, July 13, 2013, 05:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garsas

I purchased a Bachmann Big Hauler with Indoor/outdoor track approximately 10 years ago but did not have time to do anything with it until recently. I am fairly new to railroading so any help or suggestions that I can get would be really helpful. One thing that I am wondering about is once I get my layout set up in the garden is it okay to leave the track outside year round. I live in the Yukon so we get quite a bit of snow here in winter and a fair amount of rain in summer. I know that I need to bring the train and the controller in but am not sure about the track itself.

Joe Zullo

If the track is steel it will rust outside and be almost useless. If it is brass it can stay outside. 10 years ago, I do not believe that Bachmann train sets came with 'indoor/outdoor' track.

Garsas

Thanks. I left the receipt taped to the box and it said 2004 so it was 9 years ago. It also says indoor/outdoor on the box of track. I think some of it is steel and some is brass so if I just use the brass it should be good

Joe Zullo

Correct. Brass track is OK for outdoors. Steel track is not.

Loco Bill Canelos

Bachmann has never made a large scale train set with brass track!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

NarrowMinded

The clues are in the post,
QuoteIt also says indoor/outdoor on the box of track.
I don't recall Bachman selling track in boxes back then, mostly blister pack and in the set.

NM-Jeff

GG1onFordsDTandI

Garsas, Are the rails solid or tubular? Older Lionel G style tubular brass may not be the best out door track. Are ties plastic or wood? Color? Diameter or radius? lengths?

To all- Aren't there some U.V. light issues with some track? Is that only cheaper all plastic track?

Read up (this forum) on converting to batteries and radio remote controls as another power option too.

NarrowMinded

GG1,

There are a few like Aristo-craft that say they are UV resistant, but resistant is different then UV proof depending on the conditions, I live in So Cal near the beach so temps stay fairly mild, but if you live someplace like the high desert where the temps swing from above 100 to below freezing you can bet you will need to change plastic ties from any maker once in a while.

NM-Jeff

M1FredQ

Narrow is correct.

I have had LGB track for years which was around the Christmas Tree from Thanksgiving till about end of January don't worry we have a fake tree!!!

And the plastic starts breaking down. When I switched to Bachmann TRack for the Indoors and brought the LGB outside, it accelerated the process of plastic breakdown. for the last 3 years we have had "Intensely" hot Summers plus very violent rain storms. So I started covering the track with a tarp. This really has helped. But at the end of the Summer I plan to replace the plastic ties.

uscgtanker

Brass track does have a tendancey to turn green. Your best bet is go stainless steel aristocraft track with 6-8 foot radius in curves, then you can run just about anything on the line. The next thing you have to consider is road bed, If you have permafrost this will be diffcult but not impossible. I would find paving stone that's round with a indent like a crescent moon. Thats what i used for my road bed and it works well then if you need to move some track or fix a grade you just move the stone and dig them half in. Hope these tips help you out.