News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Started by Brooklynzoo, July 20, 2013, 09:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

You did in fact  Doc.  But no worries and I certainly would not categorize it as a tempest.  Just a matter of differences between Jerry's opinions and mine.  Sometimes we agree on things and sometimes we don't.  Just like sometimes he agrees with you and sometimes he doesn't.   I still consider him my friend.  Of course, it always makes me scratch my head when Jerry interjects himself between 2 other folks.  But, hey, to each his own.
Ah, Doc, you did say: Be sure to stick with numbered turnouts (e.g., #6) when you buy your turnouts. The ones without a number aren't made as well and don't function as well. 
This is where I disagree and this all started (with Jerry) for some reason.  Sounds like "stick with numbered turnouts" is equivalent to the message of "stay away from non numbered turnouts". 
Was I wrong?
BTW, I consider you my friend as well ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Sounds like someone needs a HUG!

jbrock27

I would really, really like that ;D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

I'm a big fan of hugs. JB, I can see why it seemed like I was casting a dark-side spell on "switches." What I meant is that they should be avoided when possible because they can cause operational problems. Those operational problems are the ess-curve issues which are worse with curved diverging track switches than with straight diverging track turnouts. I was not saying that the operation of the mechanisms themselves is faulty. And, by the way, I consider you a friend, also.

I've come to really enjoy internet relationships because they develop despite the limited nature of the interactions and the fact that most of the channels of human communication are absent. All-in-all, it seems to me that our electronic communications enhance distant relationships but interfere with close ones.

-- D

jbrock27

Amen Doc and thank you.  A lot of times it is all in good fun as well, which should be kept in mind.

I hear you and agree, Ess (S) curves should be avoided like the plague, when possible.  I've had to learn that lesson the hard way a few times myself!  Easy enough to do when you are not cognizant of them when putting together the layout.  One way to avoid them I found, is to custom cut track where needed.  Easy to do when you have a stockpile of brass track.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Balrog21

Hey Brooklyn! Welcome to the hobby!
I have to add in go grab you a copy of the Anyrail program you can download a trial copy to test it out. It's the best money I've spent in the hobby, hands down. It's a layout program and it will answer some questions you have I feel sure.
As regards to your turnouts. The DCC turnouts are expensive and if money is not an issue well then have at it. I like the snap switches better myself.
1. You can group them according to your layout close to the turnouts they correspond to.
2. Less expensive.
3. Avoid the nightmare of trying to remember all those addresses.

I'm about to upload a new pic of my layout in progress. Yes,all there has been a few changes, but it's been done in Anyrail.

Happy time running trains, Brooklyn! Welcome aboard!

Brooklynzoo

Thanks 21 for the tips Jerry's also told me about anyrail you guys rock

GG1onFordsDTandI

Welcome to the family Brooklynzoo, just in time for a little family feud too! :D 
Nothing to add here, "just sayin hi and poken everyone with a stick"
Hope you find debate as entertaining and informative as I do
Yep, these guys ALL rock! The passion to help, and be understood,... is enviable.

PS- love your "name" it reminds me of my second oldest (to me, not age) post war O car by "another company", the Brooklyn Zoo Giraffe box car. Every time I see your name I'll be grinning!