Mr. B. Problem with Spellchecker?

Started by rogertra, July 25, 2013, 01:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Yes people, there is a spell checker on this site, though you'd never believe it seeing some posts.  :)

However, it seems to be acting up, at least for me.  

When I click on the Spell Check button at the bottom, it now goes to full screen and the Spell Check highlights the spelling errors, or what it thinks are spelling errors and looks as though it corrects them.  

Once that's done, there's no longer a way to get out of the spell checker except by using the back button on the browser.  Of course, this only sends you back to the uncorrected spelling so there's in effect, no spell checker.

Could your I.T. department have a look at it as it does appear to be broken.  While you're at it, perhaps you could get them to add common railway/railroad words into the dictionary that we commonly use, words like Athearn, Bachmann, Peco, etc., etc., all of which it highlights as spelling errors.  :-)

Ken G Price

I have to agree that these changes would be Nice.
I did a lot of misspelled words here and had no problem correcting them with the Bachman spell check.
Though I have never used it before as Firefox has a spell check that I always have used.  Firefox does each word individually so you have to look at it, and does not do a blank spell change that one can just sign off on with out some mental input.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

RAM

You should have a window come up that tell you spell check complete.  hit ok.  What I can't figure out is when you type in your post.  If you have an error it will underline in red.  How ever when you go to spell check it think it is spelled correctly.

Woody Elmore

Ode to the Spell Checker

Eye halve a speling chequer,
It came with my pea sea,
It planely marques four my revue,
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word,
And weight four it two say,
Weather eye am rong oar write,
It shows me strate a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid,
It nose bee four two long,
And eye can make the error rite,
Its rare lee ever rong.

Eye have run this pome threw it,
I am shore your pleezed two no,
Its letter perfect awl the weigh,
My chequer tolled me sew.

CNE Runner

Woody, Your post is absolutely priceless! I, too, have been amused by the 'slaughter' of the English language (both spelling and useage...let's not get into punctuation). My wife's theory is that 'texting' has degraded common language useage. Personally I think it is an indictment of our educational system. [Don't believe me? Try reading one of the modeling magazines from the U.K.]

Thanks for the pome...eyel pass it on to othrs.

Regards,
Ra, Rae, Rai....Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

GG1onFordsDTandI

I view it as the evolution of language. 8) Nothing new.

richg

I got some cheese to go with my Whine and use the Firefox spell check. Adding a new word or two is not ever an issue.

Rich

Woody Elmore

With Spell Check and grammar check, peeople's written English should be better than it is.

I agree that the language is evoling but there are still some basics. Unfortunately grammar has taken a back seat in elementary school - along with cursive writing. Old timers may remember learning the Palmer penmanship method. That died a quick death in the Seventies.  Now, instead of proper posture and the correct way to hold a pen or pencil, all one needs is two thembs!

Enough of this - let's get back to trains!