News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Running lights on layout

Started by Brooklynzoo, July 23, 2013, 04:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooklynzoo

Hey everyone here is another ?, as I am learning more what will be the best way to run street light an etc. on the layout?

richg

Generally there is no Best, only what works best for you.
We need more info. What type of lights, brand, LED's or incandescent light bulbs? What scale?

Rich

Brooklynzoo

Sorry rich I would like to run LED lights an my scale is gonna be HO

Jerrys HO

Brook

Here's a site that has good info. I brought the light section up for you.

http://www.building-your-model-railroad.com/lighting-effects.html

Jerry

jbrock27

Zoo, if possible for you, it is a good idea to run accessories, such as turnout switch machines and lights, off a power source separate from the one you are using to power your locos.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

For a number of years, our club has used a 12vdc regulated power supply. If we need to use an LED, a 1k 1/4 watt resistor works just fine.
The supply also runs the PFM turnout controllers and a few other motor type controllers.
We have a LM317 voltage regulator tied onto the 12 volt buss for a few Tortoise. More realistic point movement at 9vdc than 12vdc. Throw a bi-color red/green LED in series with one lead to the Tortoise and a nice point indication on a panel. No resistor needed. A protective diode is not needed either.
You asked about street lighting, constant intensity which LED's are good for.

Rich

Brooklynzoo

Brock I was thinking the same thing I have looked at the athern power pack as a unit to run my switches etc thanks for the conformation

jbrock27

You are welcome bud.
You probably don't even need to spend that much for a Athearn pack (they are fairly decent for running trains, so are a little more pricey).  You might be able to get away with an old AHM, TYCO, LIFE LIKE or BACHMANN power pack if you are just looking to use the AC connections off of it and find one of these 4 (for) less $$.
Good luck in your search!
Keep Calm and Carry On

GG1onFordsDTandI

This is a link to one of my favorite electronics info sources. Its O gauge focused but most circuits can be used for HO as is, or modified for DC easily. http://www.jcstudiosinc.com/BlogCategoryMain?catId=426

jbrock27

I like the one on renovating the light tower with LEDs.  The fellow looking to replace the bulb in his TYCO light tower should come take a look at the links you posted GG1, it may help him.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Brooklyn-

You probably have some unused wall warts from old electronics, shavers, toys, cell phones and such around your home. Check their outputs. You might (good chance) find that one or more is of an appropriate power level for LEDs, and another which will work with 12-14 volt bulbs. You can plug all of them into a power strip which will allow you to use both LEDs and larger voltage bulbs without having to worry about resistors. You can feed 110/120 volt power to the power strip through a switch on your control panel so you can control your lights without having to crawl around under your layout. If you do that, however, make sure that your wiring is safe, especially the wiring from the control panel switch to the layout. Also make sure that the panel switch is designed for wall power, not just the low voltage power of the rest of the layout.
                                                                                 -- D

Brooklynzoo

You guys are gonna laugh , but what is a wall wart?

Jerrys HO

jbrock27

Doc, how do you know that Brooklynzoo is even old enough to shave? :D
Keep Calm and Carry On