News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-6-0 switcher decoder change

Started by OlddManWithHO, August 01, 2013, 08:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlddManWithHO

Hi guys,

Got a B&O 0-6-0 steam switcher and need to change the decoder in it and add the tender wheel pickups for better track continuity.  Dont have the instructions for it.  It also has smoke capabilities but dont use that feature.  Dont see how to take it apart to get to the decoder.   Bachmann guy, any suggestions?

Roger

jonathan

Roger,

Under the search tab, input 0-6-0 under topic and "jonathan" under the name block.

You will get a bunch of posts with descriptions and pictures of how this loco comes apart.

Regards,

Jonathan

OlddManWithHO

Didn't see any pics on how to take off the shell.  Do you pry it off somehow?

jonathan

Removing the shell on this loco is a bit difficult.  Let me find some pics.

There's a screw below the cab.  There are side screws behind/above the steam chest. There are tabs that don't want to let go.

Will get back to you when I have more time.

Regards,

Jonathan

OlddManWithHO

Thanks.  My concern was to at least add wires from the tender for more electrical pickup.  Also, does changing the decoder give better speed control?

richg

Quote from: OlddManWithHO on August 01, 2013, 12:15:20 PM
Thanks.  My concern was to at least add wires from the tender for more electrical pickup.  Also, does changing the decoder give better speed control?

Depends on the decoder. Digitrax and TCS both have N scale decoders that will work and good for 1 amp. Quite small.
Add metal wheels and pickups to the tender. I have done this to a Bachmann Vandy tender.

Adding metal wheels.

http://www.55n3.org/cars/tender_wipers/

Rich

OlddManWithHO

Did manage to get the shell off, except I broke off the rear plastic support post where the rear screw is.  Hopefully I can glue it back on.  Did remember the hint about the small screws near the pistons had to be removed.  That is where the tabs are that keep the shell on.

Thanks richg for the recommendation on using the Kadee copper coupler box to fashion wheel pickoffs!  Excellent suggestion.  Will try that next.

Next process is to order a Digitrax SDN144PS decoder with sound.  Hopefully that decoder will give me smooth speed transistions than what is in it.

jonathan

Breaking that rear screw support post is not uncommon amongst us tinkers.

I have had good luck repairing it with 5-minute epoxy.  Just make sure is cures for more than 5 minutes before trying to screw into it.  Give it a good hour to make sure it's really set.

On especially troublesome posts, I have added a small sleeve made of brass tubing. 

Wish I could help on the sound.  That's on my lengthy 'to-do' list.

I had considered adding a separate sound only decoder in the tender.  Would love to see some pics if you do the whole thing with one decoder.  I imagine there will be a number of wires heading to the tender:  two for the additional pick-up, and two for the speaker... lest you plan to mount the speaker in the cab.

Another thought... I have drilled out the reverse light and installed an LED in there.  Now there would be six wires.

Regards,

Jonathan

OlddManWithHO

Dont forget there will also be two wites for the capacitor!  :O