Bachmann's 2013 New Products Announcement

Started by PadreCraig, July 25, 2013, 05:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PadreCraig

:-\ The news released today regarding Bachmann's 2013 New Products Announcement shows only a Whitcomb 50-ton, Center Cab DIESEL in On30. No steam engines!!!! - no Coloradio Narrow Gauge!!! - especially disappointing - no RGS #74!!!!!!!  I guess that the company that gave us On30 scale has abandoned us for "Thomas the Train" and "Chuggington" Toys.  I expected the HO guys would get most of the attention - but come on Bachmann - throw us a bone we can get excited about.  Can't tell you how disappointed I am in Bachmann at the moment.  It's a sad day in Mudville.

Royce Wilson

Padre,I am hoping that the HO Porter 0-6-0T that Bachmann has announced is bashable to On30 as a small porter,National;ect.On the HO board they don't seem too excited about it.

Royce

Bucksco

Guess you can't please all of the people all of the time..... ::)

Royce Wilson

Yardmaster,That 45 ton diesel looks nice even though I will not buy one because I model the 1880's..I can see where it will be pouplar and I think it is probably just the thing to attract new and younger modelers. ;D

Royce

railtwister

I was happy to see the new Whitcomb On30 loco at Bachmann's booth in Atlanta, it looks like it will be a good addition to the line, though it seems rather large. I have been hoping for several years now for some freight cars in some new road names like SR&RL to compliment the Forneys (which remains my favorite On30 loco), as well as an upgrade for the Mogul that would include all wheel (loco & tender) pickup, plus DCC & sound. I guess I'll just have to keep on hoping...

Bill in FtL

ksivils

I think the Whitcomb is a great addition to the On30 line! It is precisely the kind of locomotive common carrier narrow gauges would have purchased if they had survived into the 1950s and 60s.

It is also a typical industrial line type of motive power. Great for modelers who want to model an industry and its physical plant. It will look good in front of a string of the On30 steel hoppers!

Rather than naysay, I think this broadens the scope for On30!

Thanks for adding a big locomotive that is "modern."

I do sympathize with Royce about an 1880 locomotive that could be modernized by kitbashing, but there's always hope!

oljonb

When one considers the cost of developing new models and the fact Bachmann produces them in four different scales and for both steam and diesel periods, I suspect trying to keep everybody happy is a significant challenge. There is part of me that is thankful for all they have done so far. I LOVE my On30's with sound.

Royce Wilson

This 45 ton Whitcomb has so much potential for modeling.The engine was manufactued during WW2 and would be a perfect war engine for any of the failing narrow gauges railroads.I can't wait to see one letterwed for the EBT or the RGS and the Rio Grande even looked into these.

Royce

Mister Lee

I may sound like a contrarian here, but I'm rather pleased with Bachmann's announcing a new 45-tonner. The 50-tonner is perfect for my model railroad's era (World War II).  It's also the right size--not too big, not too small, and breaks away from the Oh-dear-another-44-tonner trope that bothers our O scale brethren modeling a slightly-wider narrow gauge (I expect there'll be a flurry of articles about how to widen the wheel-spacings).

My quibble with the announcement is that I'd like mine unlettered and painted black with silver ends (a la Southern Pacific), but it's a minor one.

My sympathies to those hoping for a DB&W/C&S/RGS 2-8-0 or a three-axle Porter; maybe they'll luck out later.

Royce Wilson

I think the Southern Pacific had a lot of success with their deisel number 1(little giant) you could easily justify this as number 2. The war years is a grat era to model the only mistake most modelers make is they leave out the horses and mules.

Royce

Stevelewis

I too support  the  new  diesel  100%  I may  buy 2!!

It  should  be  pointed  out  that  as  well as  all Bachmann's   investment  in USA  trains in several scalesThey do an extremely large  range  in  UK  00  and  N  gauge  ( this  years  00 catalogue  is  198 pages  and  the  N gaue  one  is around  160 pages).

The  devlopment  of  new  UK outline is  really  good with  several  new  items  in  the 'pipeline'

Bachmann  should be  praised  for  the  investment  they  make in our  collective  hobby
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Skarloey Railway

Yes, that has me thinking. If anything, in terms of new ready-to-run products, the UK scene seems healthier than the US  scene. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69149-bachmann-announcements-20134/ shows 4 new steam locos and 2 new diesels plus an inspection trolley and the upgrade of an old model with a new chassis in OO, which is the UK equivalent to HO.

I'd have assumed the UK market is smaller so why this should be is a puzzle.

Bucksco

The U.K is not producing as many scales as Bachmann U.S. If you count up all the new locos in N, HO, On30, 3 rail O and Large Scale you will get an idea of how much new product is actually being produced. Don't worry - the sky isn't falling ::)

Royce Wilson

That British Wickham trolley looks very nice and would make a nice speeder on our On30 with very minor modification.

Royce

Hamish K

As I have posted on other threads, in the current circumstances one new On30 locomotive a year is all that can be reasonably expected. This years offering is not to my taste, but that's life.  However in recent years there has usually also been an item or two of rolling stock, so I do consider the new items to be a bit light on.

I am still hoping for an excursion car!

Is the reason that there were no new rolling stock items announced this year that Bachmann are having trouble keeping up with the demand for the 18 foot cars announced last year, so have deferred further new items in order to meet the demand for the 18 foot cars?

Hamish