News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Its all Loco Bills fault!

Started by GG1onFordsDTandI, July 26, 2013, 09:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GG1onFordsDTandI

I think I might be hooked on G and its all Bills fault for being so helpful, informative and publishing videos of G trains plowing snow in the yard, then traveling under the house, etc.  :D  (Don't worry everyone else here is just about as guilty as Bill) Being on a very limited budget has kept me in "trade mode" only, and had been unable to find a Bachmann G local to trade for. But in the last month I did manage to trade for a Great Land 2-6-2 passenger Christmas set, battery op., a Lionel/Scientific 2-6-0 radio controlled battery op. (U. Pacific#3691) ., and a 1980's Lionel G 0-6-0 porter(?) (D&RG #1, gold rush set, nice)(not the new one)(conventional dc track powered). I got the cheap ones knowing I will want to bash a better one into a radio remote controlled unit, plus Ive got a dozen pieces rolling stock now. Slight scale differences aside, I only need to change some couplers and place them carefully for an acceptable forced perspective. I got tired of waiting for a Bachmann loco to appear. I guess no one sells theirs once they get one. I fear I will have to wait a while to find one in trade. Bashing is my plan with the cheap engines, and for now I've decided to just lay the "all plastic" track, just to see how it survives a Michigan winter. The layout will be small, and in the front yard. I had a bush trimming accident a while back and one died, leaving a bare eyesore behind. So, I raised the area with a box garden and will fill the empty space with a "stump" planter, 1/2 barrel planter on a stump, a well, well hand pump, a large home made water tower, or something similar. Still need to add more pickets, some drainage material, rock filler, and decide on the final color for the box walls, and besides as I see it, this project has only just begun.
Oh re-hung Gramps old cast train ornament on the gas lamp too.(waiting on the city to fix my lawn and sidewalk)

Just curious, does anyone know the scale of the trains I have? I couldn't find a reference to scale for them anywhere.
Well Im off to the races (Telegraph rd. car cruise) Thanks all. Ill try to gather the trains for a group pic. this weekend.

Loco Bill Canelos

I have been told that all my life ;D ;D.   Welcome to the hooked members of large scale 8) ::).

Lots of bachmann locomotives on Ebay maybe about 100.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Bachmann-/19152/i.html?_sop=1&_from=R46&_dcat=19152&Type=Locomotives&rt=nc

Seems like large scale covers a lot of ground and the most popular are 1:20.3, 1:22.5, 1/29th and 1/32nd, but of course there are many other variations as well.  

Right now Bachmann has 4-6-0 chassis on sale for 30 bucks and with a great running mechanism as well.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_148&products_id=4087

This would be a fantastic chassis for doing some kitbashing with the things you already have!!

All that matters is having fun!!!!

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

GG1onFordsDTandI

I thought this post would get your attention :D
Thanks for being you Bill. 8)
Going back to local car show with some dry clothes now. Ill try to get back here in depth before Monday am.
Im thinking about a layout on a pickup bed topper for the cruise next year. I mostly just park anyhow. Now the question, O or G for the pickup?

Loco Bill Canelos

smcgill

Quote from: GG1onFordsDTandI on July 27, 2013, 09:17:41 PM
Now the question, O or G for the pickup?
Go with G for the WOW effect!

M1FredQ

I'll put my 2 cents in. I originally set up the Large scale on the back patio for Memorial Day, it has remained there and since we plan to have the backof the house redone I asked the builder to accomodate the train tracks into the garden!!!!!
I never intended to get into this but we have had a lot of fun outdoors and friends of ours who come over like hanging in the backyard where I have the trains.

The Hopper cars hold a bottle of beer nicely or a bottle of Scotch. After Labor Day I may take it down. This is a great hobby!!!

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: M1FredQ on August 04, 2013, 01:07:37 PM
I'll put my 2 cents in.

After Labor Day I may take it down.

This is a great hobby!!!

1. I wouldn't have it any other way
2. Why? Im looking forward to plowing real snow with mine someday.
3. The Worlds Greatest

Chuck N

Plowing and then running in snow is a blast.  I have a rotary that under good conditions, dry powder and not to deep, will throw it over 8'.  Leaving a nice clean track behind.

Chuck

Here is a link to a thread on My Large Scale.  There are some pictures of my rotary and it throwing the white stuff. 

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/aff/8/aft/124246/afv/topic/Default.aspx

smcgill

Snow is coming get ready!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foEq_SCn5TM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbDL79akR78

A good close up!  Boy was it cold that day 5 degrees and remote was slow to respond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipKPtIyu1XI

It's all about having fun!

Not just snow! Thing 1&2 @ work!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAXxFnmbm70

GG1onFordsDTandI

Thanks for the show guys! I'll likely go with a splitter first. My memories of one special giant plow in Traverse city, Mi demand it. It was much larger than the others I have seen. Any threads on making one? Buyable ones? Never mind, that's worthy of its own post. See you there soon.
  If I ever go for the rotary (likely) I have an extra drill already w/bad battery. Chuck, "you madman, I want to party with you" (Stripes-movie). That is one mean little snow blower. Bet I could get the mailman with it :o

Loco Bill Canelos

We did a lot of plowing over the years on my son's layout in Denver. 

Here is a link. we are using the aristocraft plow which is still available:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Y5fJGrJ3k

Here is one I kitbashed from a Bachmann Eight wheel caboose.

The blade was made by Gerry Gray, a friend of mine, for a very reasonable price.  He has done some nice projects.

You could use one of Gerry's blades or make your own and mount it to a gondola.

No matter what you do Large Scale railroading is fun and Bachmann makes it even more fun with great equipment at reasonable prices!!

Chuck N

In Denver it did throw it over 8' into the neighbors yard.

Chuck

GG1onFordsDTandI

Im not sure Im happy with either color of the garden box, or the box itself. So Ive done no new work. But!, I got 22-8"x24"(44ft) boarder bricks yesterday for the right price....free! Im gonna lean some against the box today or tomorrow to see how I feel about them. The left over Ill store till next spring for the backyard. Two more loops there and a mainline connection between all...... eventually. Im not an "in a hurry type guy", but I do usually follow through on my long term projects. Took me 7 years to rebuild a Manx copy dune buggy, but I never spent over $100 on any one item. It is actually made of 90% junk, thrown away paint and all. Not for sale, but the last offer was Ill give you $4500 cash. I wonder what he would have offered if I wouldn't have said "she's not for sale", and hard balled him 8).    

If the Aristo price I found is correct, I will soon be picking up a few splitter blades, in multiple scales ;D. My only plow now, (fun to say :D), is the one on my photo, a corgi bulldozer straight blade, with eyes and teeth, on an whimsical 0-27 dockside bash running cab forward. The account is open if you right click pic, and open in a new tab your free to browse my O junk. Its about half my stuff. Gramps old layout will live again too.

M1FredQ

Loco Bill

That was incredible to watch that plowing action!!!!

It made my day.

When I linked to it my 2 older boys 16 and 14 came into the room and said NO WAY that little snow plow is going to push any snow.

They were ready to laugh. As that plow train plowed the tracks it got quiet in the room!!!

Thanks !!

Loco Bill Canelos

M1FredQ,

Glad you and the boys got a kick out of it.  Actually I wasn't to sure if it would make it myself,  because it had gotten a little warmer and the snow was heavier.   The plow gondola was loaded as much as possible with stones to keep it from derailing.  Even with the four units it was quite a struggle along the fence. 
Winter can be fun too!!

One time we had snow so heavy we had to back up and hit it again several times just to get thru just like some of the real railroads did ;D.

Have fun, Bill