News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Its all Loco Bills fault!

Started by GG1onFordsDTandI, July 26, 2013, 09:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M1FredQ

Does water from the melted snow affect the G-Scales when they are outside.

I may just leave the track up during the Winter instead of taking it down!!!!

Loco Bill Canelos

As long as you use outdoor track it will not be a problem, in spring I re level the track and when I ran track power I tightened all the joints.  We always take time to remove all snow from the locomotives and rolling stock used in wet conditions, and always re lubed the journals and running gears on steamers.  All loco's and cars are stored inside.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: M1FredQ on August 11, 2013, 08:29:16 PM
Does water from the melted snow affect the G-Scales when they are outside.
I may just leave the track up during the Winter instead of taking it down!!!!
I had the same concerns, it was one of the reasons Ive decided to start my G scale on the extreme side of the cheap stuff, the battery powered "Holiday Trains". Ill wait for deals on the better ones, till I figure out for sure what niche Ill pursue in G. Its also given me a couple battery holding tenders and a radio remote to bash off of once these become the bottom of the barrel trains for me.

Plastic toy track and trains will likely survive complete submersion in water if given time to dry. Too many people fear getting things wet will destroy things. Its not drying them right, or at all, that really does the damage. Rust forms quicker in air than under water. Removing the wetness quickly is the key. For years, when I worked for a large pizza/game company, I used to throw video game mother boards into the dishwasher to rinse off "baked" on soda pop(no caustic detergents, just HOT water) Never a failure. My pal lives in a dusty area and washes his living room furniture, in the driveway, with a bucket of suds and a hose each summer, they look great, and no dust clouds from the cushions.

Anyhow with the cheap plastic stuff I wont be out much if/when I forget to take care of my "toys". This will also give me time and experience, building up good habits, that will allow me to someday run anything outside with confidence. Ill save the powered track, and the one "good" train I found, for inside the house....for now. So any how here's some pics of what Ive picked up so far. Each a slightly different scale.  The loco with the silver boiler was the hoakiest, smallest and had the loudest gearbox, but smokes too. First thing I did was disconnect the mechanically operated, extremely annoying, and constantly ringing, bell. :P Its a New Bright battery-op. Christmas special. One nice passenger car, and a fancy caboose. I removed the stickers and painted the cab and some details black, then added the whimsical Mich. Central gold lettering, and sparkling background (my family were professional gilders back then). I wasn't that into it, so it ended up a bit sloppy, but it will do for now, gave me a good idea what Id like it to become over time. I also had to remove the front wheels for it to run on brass track. If I cant modify the assembly to take the turn, Ill shorten the pilot platform, and move the pilot back turning it into an 0-6-2.  The blue UP is a Lionel/Scientific radio controlled battery powered train. No smoke, better sound, slightly noisey gears, but runs well for the price. I was surprised. The rolling stock and radio control was the reason I got this one. The hook and loop couplers sit a little higher than the N.Bright's, and it's a larger scale too. The last one, a powered track, Lionel G, "gold rush" from 1987. I was looking for a good used Bachmann to buy or trade locally (seems no one sells their Bachmanns ;D) and this set was offered up for a great price, track, power pac and all. It is honestly the best running train of any size, any mfg. Ive ever ran. Pretty engine, slow start, pulls and creeps well. No smoke or sound..... I mean no sounds at all, cant hear the motor, or gearbox in a quiet room, the cars behind it make more noise. The couplers are knuckles, but I have an extra one to create an adapter car so I can run all the stock together. Being the largest of the three, and having a very large cupola on the caboose, means leaving the caboose off when mixing the different scales. It just doesn't work for a forced perspective. Any how I kept well under my $150 budget(a bit over half) I set for myself till I decided whether or not to stick with G. ......PS- I don't think Ill be selling any, ever. The decision was easier than my dabbling in HO or N too. Those are sold now. Besides, if asked what kind of trains I like best, I can now answer "O, G, I don't know! (Oh, gee, get it? Its a joke son http://youtu.be/KTwnwbG9YLE or more serious joking? http://youtu.be/_9gxoDlpEAY )

Take care folks! See ya.

M1FredQ

GG-1 what an incredible nice set up of shelves for the trains.

Thanks GG-1 and Loco-Bill for the help and ideas.

I am going to leave the track up over the Winter. There are days that are nice so I'll just make sure the track is clean and dry.

ALL trains etc will be kept in-doors until we run them over the weekend or around Christmas. I just want to give it a try.

I remember my exchange student days in Germany and those Germans had LGB track up all year round and very soft brooms to brush the snow off. I liked how with those "Italian Lights" set up around the property it was really festive. I am thinking I would like to try something like that.
\What a hobby