News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-0 51309

Started by justl, July 23, 2013, 12:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justl

In this DDC on board Consolidation, what is the status of the tender re adding sound?  Are their holes for a speaker?  What sound unit is recommended.

jonathan

justl,

Typically, the Consolidation does not have holes predrilled in the tender.  Your options are to drill holes in the floor, or drill small holes in the coal load and mount the speaker pointing up through the coal load.  I have seen it done both ways.

You will have the best success using the Soundtraxx Tsunami "TSU-1000" for medium steam. You will need to buy a speaker and an 8-pin plug, if you intend to plug into the existing receptacle.

There have been various versions of the 2-8-0:  some have conventional bulbs in the headlight, some have LEDs.  Usually the LED already has a resistor installed in the locomotive.  It's wise to check, just to make sure.

Regards,

Jonathan

justl

richg

Below is a very useful link for DCC and sound. This guy favors the Tsunami. Also, you will find info on how to hook up the Tsunami. Look in Curriculum for Tsunami. Spend some time in his site. He has a lot of good info.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Rich

Pacific Northern

Quote from: justl on July 23, 2013, 12:15:17 PM
In this DDC on board Consolidation, what is the status of the tender re adding sound?  Are their holes for a speaker?  What sound unit is recommended.

Seeing that the Bachmann Standard engines most recently produced such as the Berkshire and the Northerns have their tenders ready for sound I would think the new standard bachmann 2-8-0 would also be ready for sound.

Mr. Bachman, please confirm.
Pacific Northern

Rod in PA

Hi Justi,

I just received the Bachmann HO 2-8-0 item #51312 the other day.  It is DCC equipped, and according to the loco diagram it uses an LED for the headlight.  The tender does  have a round. moulded in speaker area, with holes drilled in the bottom.  I haven't opened the tender yet, but it looks like it will accept a 1" round speaker.

I agree with Jonathan, check out the SoundTraxx web site.  I plan on installing sound using the TSU-1000 for light steam and the largest size speaker that will fit. I'll have to open the tender first to determine the correct size.

Hope this helps,
Rod in PA