News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-0

Started by cwhowell2, August 03, 2013, 11:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwhowell2

What's the difference between Bachmann standard line 2-8-0 (eg. 51312) and the Spectrum version (eg. 11419)?  They appear identical and are selling for similar prices on eBay.  Thanks - Bill

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

The key difference isn't external. It's a mechanical difference. If you look, the Standard line version has an idler gear where the Spectrum version didn't.

Pacific Northern

Are you saying that the 2-8-0 which was moved from the Spectrum line to the Standard line does not have a belt drive?

It was my impression that the two engines were exactly the same under the superstructure.

Mr. Bachmann is that not corrrect?
Pacific Northern

richg

The Bach-Man said a couple of years ago or so, the Spectrum 2-8-0 was moved to the Standard line. He said it has a high performance 3 pole motor. Search the Bachmann forum. You will find the post.

Rich

Pacific Northern

I remember the post, the motors on the 2-8-0 were changed from a 5 pole to a 3 pole before the 2-8-0's were moved to the Standard line.

However, the posting from MilwaukeeRoadfan261 indicates that is not the case, gone is the belt drive and an idler gear is in its place.

That is why I am asking specifically for the Bach Man to respond.

Was there a change to the drive, yes or no ?

Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on August 03, 2013, 07:41:19 PM
I remember the post, the motors on the 2-8-0 were changed from a 5 pole to a 3 pole before the 2-8-0's were moved to the Standard line.

However, the posting from MilwaukeeRoadfan261 indicates that is not the case, gone is the belt drive and an idler gear is not in place.

That is why I am asking specifically for the Bach Man to respond.

Was there a change to the drive, yes or no ?

Good questions.  I have around 8 or so 2-8-0s.  I'm not quite sure how many as most are still unused in their original boxes and are all from the Spectrum range.

I also read the change from Spectrum to Standard (Dumb move Bachmann) involved the change to a three pole motor.  So yes, what are the changes? I'd like to add a few more 2-8-0s once my still building GER expands into phase II but only if the running qualities are equal to or better than the originals.

It was the Spectrum 2-8-0 that made me change my era from 1972 to 1958 and, at the time, I didn't care if Bachmann produced anything else other than the 2-8-0, it was the best North American rtr steam loco ever produced up until that time.  Nothing came close, everything else was junk.

Pacific Northern

Bachmann has not added an exploded plan for the Standard 2-8-0, all of the plans for the 2-8-0 are DCC ready, DCC on board, and DCC/Sound on board. My last two 2-8-0's were with the sound. I have  around half a dozen of these.

The other locomotive that I sort of stockpiled as well as the 2-8-0 was the Heavy 4-8-2, with that metal superstructure it is heavy and pulls all I would ever need to haul. If I ran across either of these in Spectrum cases I would buy them without hesitation just to keep as a spare.
Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on August 03, 2013, 10:26:52 PM
Bachmann has not added an exploded plan for the Standard 2-8-0, all of the plans for the 2-8-0 are DCC ready, DCC on board, and DCC/Sound on board. My last two 2-8-0's were with the sound. I have  around half a dozen of these.

The other locomotive that I sort of stockpiled as well as the 2-8-0 was the Heavy 4-8-2, with that metal superstructure it is heavy and pulls all I would ever need to haul. If I ran across either of these in Spectrum cases I would buy them without hesitation just to keep as a spare.

Good idea with the Heavy 4-8-2.  I need a couple more of those.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
As far as I know, the drive remains the same. The specific motor may have changed.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Pacific Northern

Quote from: the Bach-man on August 03, 2013, 11:52:38 PM
Dear All,
As far as I know, the drive remains the same. The specific motor may have changed.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

It was the Bach-man who informed us that the electric motor had changed from a 5 pole to a high performance 3 pole, the engine was still a spectrum at that time.

There were a lot of discussion about the 3 pole vs the 5 pole after this announcement. All I know is that I was very content with the performance of my last purchase of the Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 with the factory sound. It has the 3 pole motor and its performance is to this day, great, to say the least.
Pacific Northern

jonathan

Apparently my collection of 2-8-0s is small compared to the serious Consolidation officianato.  :)

However, I do own a number of them that run the gambit, from the original with white connector plugs, to DCC ready to DCC, to DCC/Sound to Standard.

They all run exactly the same... very, very well.  The only noticeable differences, if you look closely, are the bell (now plastic; the original was brass), the headlight changed from incandescent to LED, and the tender electronics have miniaturized as technology has improved.

I can't be sure, because I'm not near my locos at the moment, it seems the pony truck design may be a tiny bit different.  Can't recall for sure.

As was discussed some time ago, molds tend to lose their fidelity over time.  For this, and a few other reasons, Bachmann chose to downgrade the Connie from Spectrum to Standard.  It's still the same loco.  The changes over time are minor.  I can't tell the difference between 3 pole or 5 pole motors.

I can remember when this loco was pretty darn expensive at first.  Now you can pick one up for a song, if you shop around.

I'm sure more new/used Connies are in my future.  They are just to good, not to have a bunch around.  In reality the 2-8-0 was the most mass produced wheel arrangement during the steam era.  Stands to reason we have a bunch on our home pikes.  

Hey, who put a soapbox under me?

Regards,

Jonathan