Village Street Car function --- without the street car?

Started by ole, August 30, 2007, 12:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ole

I am thinking of having a reversing track segment like the Village Street Car set but I don't want a trolley car. Much like the Bach Man's layout with its reversing mine track, I would like to have a MOW engine with a flat car or two running back and forth using the street car controller electronics. I know I can get the reversing track sections separately but can I run from 10 to 12 feet between the reversing points? And do I need that 'trolley barn'? And if so, what function does it provide?  ???
Owyhee River & Western RR, a division of the C&S - Nevada

Hunt

Yep, you need the barn! You don’t have to use the Trolley, nothing special about it.

The Bachmann Electronic Auto-Reversing Nickel Silver E-Z Track is used to expand the HO and On30 scale Trolley and Street Car sets.

The reversing electronics are in the car barn and it is not sold separately.

amdaylight

There are other manufactures that make a reversing system, Circuitron
AR-1 Automatic Reversing Circuit is one of these. I have used this system several times before and have installed it both on Bachmann’s Easy Track and Atlas's track systems. You have to do some simple soldering and drilling a few holes but you don't have to buy special track for this system. It took me about 30 min. to set it up and getting it running.

Andre :)

morrisf

The latest version of the reversing streetcar set has an electronic circuit in the car barn that control the detection and reversing of the trolley at each end of the line. The speed of the trolley can be controlled by a knob located on the rear wall of the barn, but the dwell time at each end cannot be controlled...it is typically about 2 seconds. (Earlier versions would control the dwell time, but the voltage to the track was a non-adjustable 6 volts or so.

There is nothing special about the trolley. Anything that runs on HO gauge track will run on the trolley track (assuming it is not a power hog), but the equipment must short out gaps cut into the track at each end to trip the circuit. This leaves out plastic-wheeled equipment, or metal wheels in plastic truck frames.

The circuitry can be removed from the barn. You will then have to note the location of wire connections and duplicate that on your layout.

If the only thing that will short the gaps on your set up is the locomotive, you will have to locate the gaps at a suitable place to make the system work.

Morris