Installing battery and r/c in Annie per Garden Railways article April 2014

Started by Howard240, August 05, 2014, 01:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard240

Bill Canelos' article is about using the Crest Revolution transmitter/receiver in converting an Annie to battery power. He writes about cutting the black and red wires that connect the rear headlight.  He instructs to cut the black wire leaving the resistor with the light.  No problem there.  He then shows cutting the red wire in front of the shrink-wrapped connection.  However when he shows the final wiring that piece is still there.  In my tender there are shrink wrapped sections on both wires - I don't know if there is a resistor in the red wire.   

Is there a resistor in the red wire also?  If so does it get eliminated or kept with the light.  It seems that if there is no resistor in the red wire it doesn't matter where the wire is cut.

Has anybody done this conversion who can answer the question?

Also, has anybody done this conversion using the newer Crest Revolution that includes sound.  I have a question about connections to the new system.

Thank you anybody who can answer.

Loco Bill Canelos

Howard,

I am the one who wrote that article.

There is only one resistor,  you should be able to feel the lump in the shrink wrap.  The other wire which does not have the resistor will by comparison feel very smooth with no lump.  You may  cut the red wire anywhere you want to suit your installation.

As for the new Crest receiver with sound, you need only connect the wires for the speakers to the little plug that comes with the receiver,  plug it into the receiver as per the instructions and then plug in the receiver  to the NonPnp board you installed as per the article. 

I hope this answers your questions.

Loco Bill Canelos
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!